King Tigers vs. Shermans {long post]

Guest rune

I have gotten a lot of questions about the battle who pictures I posted on the Yahoo Club Site. I am going to try to answer them here.

The battle came about as a joke between madmatt and myself. I jokingly told him to do a Stuart vs. King Tiger battle, and we both did one. Needless to say, it was a slaughter. After getting emails to ask matt to post the pictures, I told him I would do so. However, I had already dropped the scenario, so I created a new one.

The battle takes place on a 2000 meter by 2000 meter map, with an objective that both sides should capture in the middle. Map is rural, gentle slopes, and moderate tree coverage. 50 Shermans [early Ronson model] vs. 8 King Tigers. Shermans are setup by computer, I start the KTs in a corner.

The battle progressed the first 5 moves of covering the distance involved. As I crested a small slope, some Shermans are spotted. I open up keeping 2 KTs back, and advancing the other 6 towards the objective.

Soon a shooting gallery developed. The shermans fired at me for two turns until they figured out their guns were useless. The AI then decided to try a flanking manuever. He payed heavily for this, but did manage to get flanking shots, and destroying 6 of the KTs. 2 were out and out destroyed while the other 4 suffered gun hits, immobilizations, and then the crews bailed.

I advanced my last 2 remaining KTs, and continue to set Shermans on fire. You don't appreicate why they are called that in the beta, with the wet storage they don't burn as easily. The battle ended after 30 turns, my remaining 2 KTs both immobilized, and 34 Shermans destroyed with the rest hiding behind smoke. Needless to say, a major axis victory.

What did I learn? When you start thinking of the AI as a person, Steve and Charles have done their job. I actually watched the turn where the AI changed tactics, several times. I could not believe that it learned firing was useless, and try to flank.

Hope this answers everyone's questions.

Rune

A major axis victory? With 16 Shermans left against 2 immobilized Tigers?

Reminds me of the story of the new American tank division just over the beach shortly after the invasion. They entered combat and on the first day lost 10 Shermans for a single Tiger destroyed. On the second day of combat they lost 20 Shermans but managed to knock out two Tigers. And on the third day, sure enough, as the fighting intensified, 30

Shermans knocked out or immobilized with only three dead Tigers to show for the carnage.

One of the more experienced FO's accompanying the new unit couldn't figure out why all the (remaining) tankers seemed happy. In fact, their smiles seemed to get bigger each day of combat. He asked one of the company commanders about it and was told "Well, at this rate, pretty soon no more Tigers" biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 03-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 03-08-2000).]

Yes, remember fog of war,, he did not know they were immobilized, i destroyed 34 of the enemy, and captured the objective. The ramining 16 were getting the hell out of dodge behind smoke.

Love the story...talk about the eternal optimist...

Rune

Guest Big Time Software

Cool story Rune!

Yes, PL4ilot's story is typical of what happened when the worst went up against the best. Count your blessings so to speak wink.gif The thing that really killed the Germans is that while those Tigers were slaughtering Shermans, on some other sector of front Stuarts and Shermans were running around whacking everything they could see while only fearing AT guns and PFs. This has been discussed to death there many times, but the tanker's line about "no more Tigers" is right on the money and it is one of the major reasons why the Germans lost the strategic war in the West.

Steve

Shermans vs KTs Part II is now posted on the chat site. I did much better as the Americans, destroying 8 King Tigers for the loss of 17 Shermans. Amazing what smoke and flank shots can do for you. 8 pictures are posted for you to enjoy....

Rune