Elite mean anything when it comes to accuracy?

I tend to purchase elite tanks, not only for the faster reaction time, but because I thought that they would be more accurate. Well, in my armor clash QB, my elite units suck. They've expended a total of 15 rounds between them and have yet to hit a single thing (other than the ground in front of, behind, and to either side of their targets). This is with the target stationary the entire time and my tank stationary. Yet my opponent has racked up 4 first shot kills already.

So does elite mean nothing when it comes to accuracy?! I really want to know because if that's the case, then I'm wasting my purchase points.

I've also noticed that elite snipers are no more accurate than regular snipers. Anyone else experience the same?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Elite Jeeps are much more accurate.... smile.gif

I am playing a scenario with Elite Glider Troops and they inflict casualties at an alarming rate when close up. I have not yet tried Elite Tanks, but i would like to know other peoples experiences also.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Yeah, I saw that thread. Almost as funny and Mensch's (?) wife buying an assault boat, in the middle of nowhere, and him wasting a turn firing his MG jeep at it.

BTW, if BTS would put hamster launchers on those jeeps, elite would mean something. smile.gif

I actually prefer vets over elite. Vets are smart enough to turn around in the face of heavy fire, but tough enough that they'll stick it out if there've got a reasonable chance. Elites will just charge headlong like a bunch of fools into any amount of fire and be vaporized.

I did the boat thing once too, as a joke. The thing lasted the whole scenario. I had no idea it would draw fire like that, and then it was unsinkable. I started it hidden and then couldn't even unhide it.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, experience does increase accuracy. For main guns this means an increased chance of hitting, for infantry type units it means in increase in firepower.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Just did a quick test and it showed that at 800m an Elite Jagdpanther had about a 20% greater chance of hitting a Sherman than a Regular Jagdpanther. Sounds like Juardis just got really unlucky and the enemy got very lucky.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Just did a quick test and it showed that at 800m an Elite Jagdpanther had about a 20% greater chance of hitting a Sherman than a Regular Jagdpanther. Sounds like Juardis just got really unlucky and the enemy got very lucky.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll say. He's now up to 7 first shot kills whilst I'm having to fire 4-5 times before I get a hit. My 3 elite units and 2 crack units are long since dead. frown.gif Does morale affect the probability to hit? I ask because I've lost most of my armor force now and my global morale is taking a beating. Wouldn't make a difference in the first 3 moves of the game though, but it might now.

Also, is success/failure of an exchange a function of random number seed (if the coding actually employs random numbers that is)? If you don't know what a random number seed is, then I guess it doesn't use one smile.gif I've noticed that if you start out the first few shots well (i.e., you hit and he misses), then you usually end up victorious in that battle and vice-a-versa. If you restart and the outcome reverses in the first few shots, then the outcome of the battle usually reverses. In other words, if you hit early in engagements, you'll hit early and often for the remainder of the scenario.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Juardis, I hope it would have not been true too! frown.gif However, from my limited experiences from scenarioes like "Magnificant Seven" and infmaous "Villis Bocage", there are still great chance elite will not survive the day to green opponents, espeically when the elite are not properly handled. I still think they worth the price, though -- for better reaction time.

Note: 1. the "chance" factor is always there, so if bad luck can hit you hard and you could go fubar. 2. The distance mentioned is 800m, as I have posted numerous times before, German tanks (even KT) are extremely vunerable to Allied guns when they are < 500m in CM. German stand better chance in ranges between 500 to 1000.

Happy hunting.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 10-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

What is the best way to handle an elite unit? What about a Green?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm probably not the best person to answer this given my experiences above, but...

I tend to use Elite forces in an overwatch mode thinking that they shoot faster and hit more often (they should anyway). I don't play with Green troops but if I did, I'd be more likely to use terrain masking to get myself into a position to get off a few quick shots in the location of my choosing (i.e., in a gulley, between a break in the woods, or reverse slope places). The thinking there is that they minimize their exposure to the enemy while maximizing their attempts to kill a target.

I'm beginning to change my thinking with Elites to maybe move more towards using terrain masking whenever possible, but I'm still up in the air about that. Overwatch is very powerful when moving to contact.

Anybody else wish to enlighten us?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Makes sense about the Green troops. Ambush and retreat would probably work well.

I tend to think of Elite troops as the ones you send on Counter-attack missions or deep insurgency into the enemy rear. Whenever an agressive act is to be performed, it's the most advanced units I choose.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to purchase Veteran units far moreoften than elite,any chance of giving us the numbers for Veteran units over Regular?

thanks

Yes, experience does increase accuracy. For main guns this means an increased chance of hitting, for infantry type units it means in increase in firepower.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey,

Interesting. I tested this by creating a scenario with one of each experience level of the same squad. Checking their numbers (by hitting ENTER) the firepower of the variously experienced units (Conscript to Elite) is listed as exactly the same for each range band. So is the info not updated, or should it be showing us the improved firepower ratings when we buy better quality troops? If its supposed to be updating, its broken. I have only noticed an improvement in reaction time and morale recovery when I buy Crack and Elite units.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?