Using HQs for Indirect Fire Bug

here's also a bit of information i have just learned . You can initiate indirect w/ mortars by the standard way, selecting the mortar and (if target is in LOS of HQ it fires) but also if you have double clicked (right click? for PC's?) which select all C&C squads, targeting the HQ unit also targets the mortars as well BUT there is a 500m limitation for max range, even if mortars range exceeds that.

Not sure why the limitation( it's most likely a product of the range of the HQ's weapons, but inconsistent as to mortars use.

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knaust:

An on-map mortar can carry out area fire missions without LOS, provided it is in command of an HQ that does have LOS to the desired target location.

Good rule!...but it doesn't work with a Mortar HT...very annoying! redface.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This got discussed at some length a few weeks back. In addition to the Mortar Carriers not being subject to C&C, there was also some question as to whether they were also covered by the rule that prevents on-map artillery from firing indirectly due to necessary set-up time, etc. I don't recall if this issue was ever definitively settled. My own opinion is that probably Mortar Carriers *should* be permitted indirect fire, but I would be willing to hear arguments to the contrary.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

My own opinion is that probably Mortar Carriers *should* be permitted indirect fire, but I would be willing to hear arguments to the contrary.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it goes back to the fact that (currently) vehicles can't use HQs as spotters. Would be nice if they could (hint, hint)!

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

Guest Madmatt

It is until you think about in in real world terms.

LT: (to mortar team): Ok guys, Infantry moving in the open 400 meters, FFE.

Mortar team: Yes sir! Fire (sound of thump as mortar begins to engage)

Company Commander comes running over.

Captain: Soldier! What in God's name are you doing?

LT (to himself): uh oh...

Mortar Team Soldier: um, SIR! We were engaging enemy infantry SIR!

Captain: Did I tell you to engage? Were you ordered to engage? Are you aware of the valuable resource this mortar position serves to my command? Are you aware that I want you held in reserve in order to cover any anticipated offensive action that we may be involved with?

Mortar Team Soldier: But the Leuten...

Captain: Did I ask your OPINION SON?!? Now, you cease fire and wait for my order! Are we clear?!?

Mortar Team Soldier: Yesss SIR!

And so it goes....

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-08-2000).]