Terrain types in final game

As a scenario designer, I feel that what distinguishes a great scenario from an okay scenario is a great map. A detailed map helps give the sense that "you are there", and also makes the action on the scenario much more interesting. What makes a great map is attention to detail. A big green field with a house in the middle is probably *not* going to be an interesting scenario. (Unless of course it is snowing, and the scenario features Finnish Ski troops, and it is winter 1940 in northern Russia, and the scenario depicts a night raid on a frozen Russian outpost or something.......but I digress...) wink.gif

Anyway, point is that there are some terrain types I would like to see implemented in the game. Some for "color" and some for important tactical reasons. For Mr. CoolColJ, I wonder if some of the textures could just be tweaked to create some of these terrain types. The list of stuff that I haven't seen or heard about follows.

1) Sunken and raised roads - both very important features in France. The area south of the Normandy beaches had raised roads crossing marshes, and the hedgerows were crisscrossed with sunken roads.

2) Orchard and vineyard - Mainly a decorative difference. Light Trees looks different than an orderly orchard, a Wheat Field looks different (and might have different LOS characteristics) than a vineyard.

3) Ditches or gullies - Real important! A ditch on a battlefield is major cover. I haven't ever seen a screenshot that featured a ditch. Best would be a narrow addition to a map tile, just like the walls are implemented now.

4) Cemetary - To spuce up a village. A lot like a rubble area for combat purposes, but again, looks different.

5) Multi-tile buildings - I want some big ass cathedrals (e.g. Aachen) municipal buildings apartment buildings or rowhouses. Of course big factories can wait. Yes, I know buildings have been discussed many times before, I'm just saying I want a few big ones.

What are we going to get in the final game? How many different terrain types are there? Is it possible that any new terrain features will be added after the release?

------------------

"Never mind what Clausewitz thought! What do YOU think?"

Erwin Rommel as a young instructor at the Potsdam school of infantry.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1) Sunken and raised roads - both very important features in France. The area south of the Normandy beaches had raised roads crossing marshes, and the hedgerows were crisscrossed with sunken roads.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can make very nice sunken roads in the editor, my scenario "The Sunken Lane" features a historical battle fought around one of these. They make for some nasty defensive terrain.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2) Orchard and vineyard - Mainly a decorative difference. Light Trees looks different than an orderly orchard, a Wheat Field looks different (and might have different LOS characteristics) than a vineyard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will have to use scattered trees for orchards. This would be a visual difference only anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>3) Ditches or gullies - Real important! A ditch on a battlefield is major cover. I haven't ever seen a screenshot that featured a ditch. Best would be a narrow addition to a map tile, just like the walls are implemented now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditches are tough, as it is now you will end up with wide ditches... gullies are possible if you know what you are doing with the elevations in the editor.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>4) Cemetary - To spuce up a village. A lot like a rubble area for combat purposes, but again, looks different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To my knowledge, these will not be included in the release version... would be a nice addition I agree.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>5) Multi-tile buildings - I want some big ass cathedrals (e.g. Aachen) municipal buildings apartment buildings or rowhouses. Of course big factories can wait. Yes, I know buildings have been discussed many times before, I'm just saying I want a few big ones.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can make these by inserting a line of large building tiles end to end, you can make large cathedrals by doing the same thing with the church tiles... these will not be one large building though, they will be seperated, but the appearance will be as if they were one.

Hope that helps.

Uhh I could be wrong but I don't think placing snipers in steeples would be a good idea. Steeples are the most obvious place to put snipers or sharpshooters as they are called in CM (yes,there is a difference). Unless you only intended to take one or two shots and then relocate then I think it would be pretty dumb.

Oh yeah your question...

IIRC you will not be able to put people in steeples or even anything higher than 2 storys.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

I asked for ditches and creeks before, and BTS wasn´t real encouraging.

However, I still want them.

They would be similar to trenches if you´re being shot at, and they would impede the forward travel of trucks and jeeps.

Maybe they could be placed the same way foxholes or craters are done now??

Speaking of terrain types, I saw the lovely 'new' snow covered terrain shots on the combathq site and was wondering - Do the leafless trees give any less cover than their spring/summer counterparts? It's certainly much easier to see things hiding behind naked branches than fully foliated foliage.

Just a question as I'm slowly becoming more and more interested in this here game.

-Beetle

Maybe I can mod the bocage into a vineyard smile.gif line them all up in columns, and put some grape plants on the side biggrin.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! :P

You MUST remember that terrain has coded concealment, protection etc characteristics.

Modding vineyards is NOT as simple as just doing a simple graphical mod of bocage. In fact using bocage would yield terrible, terrible results as its characteristics are very different than those of vineyards