Minor Nigglies

ianc

OK, why not some more, now that I'm on a roll? I've started keeping little notes while playing, about things that bugged me while I played. These are not glaring issues, but just suggestions for improvement whenever.

1) Use the standard Win (or Mac or whatever) save dialog to save your games. I should think common practice would be to keep your PBEM's separated by opponent name. Allow a save in this dir to keep from cluttering up CMBO\PBEM and constant sorting.

2) A view bigger than '4'. I'm not sure how many users need this right now, but I run at 1600x1200, and '4' doesn't really give me a big-enough view over a 3-4 km map. I can't take enough in at once with '4'...

3) Allow programming of user-preferred keystrokes. I would find the in-game navigation a helluva lot easier if I could set my own keys. The arrow keys (when your R hand is already on the mouse for example) for sliding is bad; I need it on the left side somewhere.

4) Have the game wait for the CD to be inserted instead of exiting out upon startup. Ooops!

5) Treat 'generic nationality' and waypoint movement markers as 'navigable' game units. By this I mean allow clicking on them and having the TAB and view keys functional from that spot. Scanning these locations is often critical for positioning, so not having the ability to 'go there' quickly is time-consuming, but necessary. I consider it a user interface issue.

6) I'm often confused by wheatfields. Sometimes they offer almost no restriction to LOS, others lots. This seems to be dependant on the season. Duh. Possibly in the seasons where wheatfields were in full growth, the hedge (or maybe bocage, if late in the season!) geographical game shapes could be used (covered with wheatfield textures of course) to more accurately portray the LOS degradation from these features. A problem is, if units are in it, how do you portray this? I say, just depict the very top of the unit (same as if a unit is in hedge or bocage now), or even just its base, but leave it clickable.

7) Allow arty area fire at the side of a bldg. I've been in situations where a spotter of mine could see the bldg's in a town or village perfectly, but could not plot rounds there because he didn't have clear LOS to the ground in the middle of town. He should be able to register missions on the bldg's themselves, as these are clearly visible from the periphery of the built-up area.

Just little thoughts I've been collecting for a while. Take care,

ianc

3) I assume you're aware that if you hold down the Shift key, you can slide with the mouse?

5) Generic nationality markers are not an indication of a unit's position, just of where it was last spotted. I think by their nature - being intangible objects - they shouldn't be 'navigable'.

7) Go here and scroll to the bottom.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianc:

4) Have the game wait for the CD to be inserted instead of exiting out upon startup. Ooops!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eek.gif YOU'VE REMOVED THE CD?? eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>6) I'm often confused by wheatfields. Sometimes they offer almost no restriction to LOS, others lots. This seems to be dependant on the season. Duh. Possibly in the seasons where wheatfields were in full growth, the hedge (or maybe bocage, if late in the season!) geographical game shapes could be used (covered with wheatfield textures of course) to more accurately portray the LOS degradation from these features. A problem is, if units are in it, how do you portray this? I say, just depict the very top of the unit (same as if a unit is in hedge or bocage now), or even just its base, but leave it clickable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would go for different wheatfield tiles depending on state of the crops (fully grown or too short to block LOS).

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right