CM Demo

Whenever i try to start a game in the Demo (Allies, Chance Encounter), it freezes on "Loading 3D-Graphics". No I don't have a 3D card, but i have well over the Min requirements for a comp without one. (iMac 330 G3, 160 megs of RAM). What gives, and if i do need a 3D card, where can I get one that will work without spending to much money?

You may want to reduce your resolution (I believe the iMacs can do this) to 800x600/832x624 or 640x480 and delete the "prefs" file. On a Mac I'm not sure where the prefs file is, but it is probably in the CM folder. When you start up CM you should eventually get a black screen listing the resolution. If you don't get this, then you may have a driver problem with the video or a corrupt installation of CM.

I believe the iMacs have a 4Mb built-in ATI card. Go to Apple's website and download the latest video drivers for your iMac. I'm not sure if your OS version makes a difference or not. If you're running 9.0x you probably have the latest Game Sprockets. If not download those too (though I believe CM is only using them for sound).

There are plenty of other iMac owners on this forum you can give you additional advice.

As for a 3D card... I'm not sure what is available for an iMac - probably nothing. If you had a Mac with PCI slots then I believe your choices are usually limited to ATI and 3dfx. Due to the need for Rave compatibility ATI would be your best bet.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 06-14-2000).]

Guest Mirage2k

Um...if you have a 333MHz iMac, you should have a 3D card. A 6MB ATI Rage Pro, to be exact. Make sure you have the latest extensions and try a different resolution.

-Andrew

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gamedude15:

Thanks, I'll try it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The preferences file is called "Combat Mission BO Demo Prefs" and is in the preferences folder inside the system folder on your start-up disk. It should run at 800x600. I have an iBook with a 4MB ATI Rage 128 and it works fine at 800x600, no problems at all.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)