CM-Arena - an idear out the the blue

Are you good or bad to CM? If there was a competion, where would you be located on an international highscore list? This is the questions that I had asked myselfe a lot of times, when my friend continued kicking my butt. Think of following setup:

Scenario, with a small map created by a gamemaster

--

Predefined forces, should be somewhat equal in strength (points)

--

The map layout is focused on tactical gameplay

--

Low count of turns, about 10 or so

--

You get your first pbem from your opponent and the game begin

--

When the first game is finish, you and your opponent play the same scenario once more, but this time you 'turn the table' and play the other side. When the secound game is finish - you have played one match.

--

You add your score of the match by sending your last received pbem file from each game, one from each side of the 'table'. Your opponent does the same.

--

The gamemaster is responsible of calculating the score, by adding the two scores from each game together.

--

The gamemaster then sends the result together with the scenario to the webmaster - Me, whom is responsible for keeping a Highscore list for each scenario on the website. The highscore list is kept together with the scenario and the e-mail of the gamemaster.

--

Who ever want to contest the score, downloads the scenario and e-mail the

gamemaster who then respond with a email of an opponent.

---------------------------

Comment:

There is a little flaw about this, but I think it would be void in the progress of playing multible games. Ofcause, the players knows the scenario at hand on their secound game but this would be equal terms for both of them and for all others to come. There may also be a difference between, playing assualt and meeting engagement. I think that the meeting engagement is more suitable to the CM-Arena than other kind of setup's.

First I would like to hear your comments. Think about it for a few secounds and then send your reply. Good or bad, lets hear about it.

I am also looking for a few 'beta testers' and maybe there are somebody out there with a scenarion suitable for a test run?

Yours Sincerely

Henrik Malmvig

Guest Pillar

Definately like the idea of having a tournament.

You need something more random, like quick battles. The best thing to do if you want to set something like this up is get a web page going. Once that's done, you'll have a base of operations.

You should also check out the CM Ladder over at the CMHQ. It's a pretty decent system, though I haven't yet had time to participate.

The problem with these games is that the points or win/loss ratio is dependent not soley on your own ability, but also the ability of the opponent. If you play a really bad opponent all the time, you may find yourself doing really well in score smile.gif

If you can set up an organized tournament that reflects the way the Stanley Cup is done, you'd have a really great thing going.

Now go get to work ! biggrin.gif

Thanks Adam for your answer. Yes you did pretty good coming up with the idear of cmrpg. In fact, that was the inspiration for the idear with CM-Arena. Not that they have anything in common, but you showed that it's possible to comeup with an idear without getting youselfe crushed by people who knows better. You also gave this forum a chance of showing it's maturity and your effort paid off cool.gif

Yes I know that Fionn and Madmatt have someting likewise going on at cmhq but I had not learned what's it's all about yet. Before I 'am going any further I need to investigate this and see if there is an overlap.

Henrik