Shermans and Premonitions

The more I play VoT, the more I am convinced that most M4(75)Ws instinctively know when they are about to die. When they get this premonition of death, they flinch. This happens regularly in specific situations, so I'm beginning to wonder about it.

The prescience happens when the Sherman is engaging the Panther or the 75mm pillbox at greater than about 250m. Just as the enemy fires the fatal shot, the Sherman goes into reverse and pops smoke. The enemy shell hits before the smoke blooms, so I end up with a dead Sherman coasting backwards and then the smoke appearing in front of it.

So far every M4(75)W {but not (76) or (105)} that has been killed by these weapons at greater than 250m has exhibited this behavior. It happens regardless of how many shots are exchanged. For example, it might happen on the 1st enemy shot. Or the Sherman might trade 3 misses seemingly unperturbed, but then it goes into reverse on the 4th enemy shot and sure enough this one kills it.

The only M4(75)W fatalities to the Panther and pillbox that have not crayfished like this were at closer range. And I have never seen a Sherman survive when it goes into reverse and pops smoke. Death during this process is so constant that I've come to use this behavior as a way to quickly determine my tank losses for the turn. I watch the movie up close on the critical assault, then at the end I scan the whole field for puffs of smoke. If there are any, there is always a dead Sherman behind, and replay on this tank always shows the crayfishing during the time of flight of the fatal shell.

Is anybody else seeing this, or am I just having a run of bad luck? If it is a real phenomenon, what causes it? Can the Sherman see the fatal shell coming like I can and thus realize it's doomed? Or does it suddenly get a deathwish and deliberately back into the shell, which otherwise might have missed?

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Guest MantaRay

Try going around the sides, dont go head on into that beast. And if you can get a zook up on the hill to draw his attention a bit.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Try going around the sides, dont go head on into that beast<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. But Panthers happen sometimes biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm not concerned with the Shermans losing the fights--they should--I'm just curious about how they seem to know that THIS PARTICULAR shot is going to kill them.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm