[OT] Matchbox's Opinion On The Best Tank of WWII

Howdy Folks!

Amongst all the coupons in my Sunday paper was an advertisement for a new Matchbox collectible series. First the good news:

The two tanks featured at the top of the advertisement are the 105 mm armed M4 and the PZ IVf1. I thought this was an interesting choice since these tanks are not likely to be recognized by most folk. I would've thought they would've stuck a Panther and a M4A3E8. The tanks in the collection are: M4a3 105mm, PZ IVf1, Churchill Mk4, PantherA, M4A3 76mm, PzIV H/J, T-34/76, and Wirbelwind. They do look pretty cool.

Now for the bad news. They are $29.95 each. They list the wheelbase as being anywhere from 2 11/16" to 3 1/4" depending on the tank type.

Now for the real reason I'm telling you all about this. In the ad copy it says "...and the Panther, the "big cat", that was the best tank in the world until America created the Sherman". It took my a second to pick my jaw back up off the floor. biggrin.gif I just had to share this with everyone.

Cardinal Fang.

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Matchbox Product Announcement

The Second World War saw air power come into its own. Swarms of German aircraft unleashed fire and death upon the British populace, while Allied forces struck back against Hitler and his evil minions with even bigger, more powerful four-engined bombers. Soldiers in battle were constantly harried by sleek new fighter-bombers, and by the end of the war, German ground forces could barely move for fear of being pounced upon by American and British planes firing powerful guns and rockets.

To commemorate the 58th anniversary of the middle of this momentous conflict, Matchbox is proud to announce a new set of highly detailed and realistic die-cast model aircraft. No collector or enthusiast will want to be without these fine reproductions of some of the Second World War's most renowned and feared flying machines.

From the squadrons of the Nazi Luftwaffe comes the formidable Arado Ar68G fighter-bomber, which terrorised the British mainland and Allied soldiers throughout the war. Representing the British is the powerful Fairey Battle, the backbone of their bomber force. Also reproduced are the feared Soviet Polikarpov I-15 and Japanese Mitsubishi A5M (known to the Allies as "Claude"), and topping off the collection is the most feared aircraft of all, America's excellent Brewster F2A Buffalo.

This fine set is strictly a limited edition, so order now!

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Aitken, you forgot to mention that the MS 406, feared ruler of the skies until France fell (any Achtung Spit players here?), the swift Blenheim bomber, and the Devastator torpedo bomber, the plane that smashed the Japanese carriers at Midway were also in Matchbox's collection.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

David,

is your post serious or in jest?

The Arado 86 did not molest any britons unless they happened to sit on a german flight school runway.

The other warplanes mentioned are pre-war, too.

Btw, it's the 29th already, what became of your Scottish Copperfield-forerunner who vanished a whole german severely-overstrength Panzerdivision with his magic kilt?

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

Call me deadpan, but I was kidding.

As for Major MacPherson, I've got the program on video, I watched it last night, and I shall provide a transcript when I get the chance. All I shall say for now is that he doesn't make a very convincing Scot with his posh English accent. Oh, and the whole program wasn't devoted to him, he just appeared a couple of times between various other people.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

From the squadrons of the Nazi Luftwaffe comes the formidable Arado Ar68G fighter-bomber, which terrorised the British mainland and Allied soldiers throughout the war. Representing the British is the powerful Fairey Battle, the backbone of their bomber force. Also reproduced are the feared Soviet Polikarpov I-15 and Japanese Mitsubishi A5M (known to the Allies as "Claude"), and topping off the collection is the most feared aircraft of all, America's excellent Brewster F2A Buffalo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hilarious!

Michael