Orders and Info sharing sample for upcoming CPX?

Jingo

Since I've never been in the military, I figure I'd ask a few questions about what to expect in the upcoming CPX. While I'm currently an observer in reserve. It's possible that I may have to jump in now and then:

1) What is a sample for orders as they are passed down the chain of command?

2) What is a sample for reporting info back up to HQ?

I'm assuming there's a specific military way that this is done that cuts down the verbage and only passes along the necessary details.

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by James Sterrett:

Well, others may give you an official way to do it, but there's never been much of an official way-to-do-it-for-TacOps-CPXes. smile.gif

The key is that you know how to use 6 digit grid references.

That enables you and your CO to refer to arbitrary places on the map rapidly....

I agree with James on that there has never been much of an oficial "Way to do it for TacOps CPXs"

However knowing how to use a 6-digit grid system may be good. But my eyeballs are not as calibrated as they were use too. So what I use is BP locations to refer to places on the map for me and for the players without haveing to look at the grid lines.

Red 6

So Slagg,

I'm assuming for this CPX we'll be using standard 6 digit map coordinates, unless our COs send out some maps with Battle Positions (BPs) on them. I re-read the section on UTM Grid Coordinates. Never had much use for them in single player, but it seems like they'll be useful in multi-player. I *think* I have it down. smile.gif

I echo James' sentiment on this. While using BPs, phase lines and such is a matter of taste/opinion, getting to know your UTM Grids is paramount, and as the umpire, if I'm going to be making any reference to a location it will be via UTM grid coordinates. Right and Up.

Guys, Don’t’ get me wrong about the use and when to use the grid numbers. Yes they are important. Especially if you know how to give a grid. But, you have to understand using Battle Positions (BPs) is just as important as the grids. And lets not forget using Target Reference Points (TRPs) is just as important as grids. Again in the mist of a battle you’re not going to stop and start to read the grid. Especial if the CO is losing his eyesight and his reaction time has slowed down and the brainpower is reduced tongue.gif

If you have BPs and/or TRPs PLOTED it will speed up the time it would take to call in fire mission and to give QUICK reports to the CO.

AS the umpire you have the time to give grids to the Teams.

I’m getting the feeling that some people think that using BPs, TRPs, and other Graphic control measures are not worth the use.

"I’m getting the feeling that some people think that using BPs, TRPs, and other Graphic control measures are not worth the use."

Heh - I'm not on that boat, either. smile.gif

A good overlay is a wonderful thing and certainly does speed up communications - but only the very best overlays mean you don't wind up using grids for something the loverlay doesn't quite cover.

The vest thing is to have *both*. smile.gif

Aw sheesh, there I go again. And here I thought I'd gotten into the habit of thinking before posting. BPs, TRPs, and the rest are very important, and speed up communication of key areas greatly. It's just that I personally haven't had much trouble finding a grid coordinate, even the 10 digit coordinates (always came out on top in Land Nav exercises :D ), and actually prefer relating a point on the map using grid coords. Of course, I'll probably get handed my hat at some point concerning this in the CPX ;)