Dead Body**exception to the rule**

There's one exception that I think will enhance the game regarding the no dead bodies rule.

Dead Tank commanders. Not for the esthetics of seeing the enemy commander hanging from his tank smile.gif. At least keep him there for a turn before the crew has a chance to haul him in. If the crew is busy, he might just stay there for awhile.

Point is, a tank commander is such an important part of the tank crew that his death is vital knowledge. Upon seeing this event, I'm might decide that the time is right for an assault.

Picture this: you're 300 meters away, and fire a short mg burst at a tank. The TC disappears inside and the tank buttons up. Did you hit him? Did he just get scared? How are you gonna be able to tell at that range? At very close ranges, perhaps, and perhaps for sharpshooters as well, you should be able to tell that the TC got killed, but most of the time that's information you just wouldn't have.

-John Hough

To clarify. If the commander was killed, he ain't buttoning up.If he was injured and could button up, good for him and I shouldn't know. However, if he is dead and bent over on the top of the tank, someone would have seen this and someone might think to attack now.

So your asking for additional code to figure out if when the guy gets shot he gets back inside or if he slumps over leaving himself exposed, and then to show you if your within a certain distance that yes he is dead? Not worth it at the level of scale/abstraction of CM IMO.

Here is an idea how it can work. My first shot at pseudo-code:

Assumption:TC=Tank commander

Assumption:Wounded commanders button up.

1)If TC is buttonned, go to step 5.

2)If TC is wounded,go to step 5.

3)If TC is healthy,go to step 6.

4)TC is dead, go to step 7.

5)TC is invisible, go to step 1.

6)TC is visible and healthy, go to step 1.

7)TC is visible and slumped. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 02-07-2000).]

Nooooooo!

Another dead bodies thread....

This is so Steve doesn't have to spend any time saying what has been said many, many times.

NO bodies...not hanging from tanks, or laying in trees or flying across the screen when a mortar hits near by. No where! At least not in CM 1.0!

I still think that three three represented figures should move around but thats just me.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Iggi - it doesn't matter whether he's dead or not.

If the tank is buttoned then that's a good time to assault, regardless of the health of the crew. If you think the commander might still be kicking and unbutton, just lay a little suppressive fire on the tank to keep him inside.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Guest Captain Foobar

iggi, let it go, man. What you are proposing has no chance of being implemented at this point. They have rejected dead bodies in any form, for reasons ranging from gameplay to philosophical objections. Not to mention the fact that they have "frozen" new features. If you get between me and my Gold Demo for even a second, I'll gnaw your leg off at the knee... wink.gif