What is Zimmerit anti-magnetic paste?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

What is Zimmerit anti-magnetic paste?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a paste applied to German AFV's, in early 1943 Ie, Tiger's, Panthers, Stug's PzKpfw IV's Jadgpanthers, Brumbars basicly vehichles heavy enough to sustain the added weight.

The Germans wanted to protect their AFVs from Soviet magnetic hand placed mines, & developed zimmerit. The paste created a non-ferrous magnetic gap between it & the armor & kept magnetic mines from adhereing to to the coated AFV. Zimmerit was applied to all exposed vertical surfaces. its application was discontinued in mid/late 1944.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

People who can smile when things go wrong

have found someone else to blame.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-23-2000).]

So are you saying that Russians would run right up to a tank and place this charge on the side?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, before the advent of SC launchers German & Soviet troops destroyed each others tanks with mines, satchel charges etc, often by running up to the enemy AFV and placing the mine on an exposed area of the body or even on the track.

Regards, John Waters

--------

"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!!".

Sounds like dangerous work for the runner. Had to be a good athlete!

What is "SC"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SC is Shaped Charge or hollow charge, it was fired by Bazooka's, PIATS Panzerfausts, etc; and used in main guns on AFVs and to give DF artillery pieces an standoff AT capability.

Today we would basicly call them HEAT rounds, as they worked on a similar principal.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

People who can smile when things go wrong

have found someone else to blame.

Well, I was watching Stalingrad earlier (Damn I'm hard pressed to think of a grimmer movie in existance, I recommend!)

and even the Germans were portrayed using something that looked alot like a magnetic mine. Basically in the film the Germans were in foxholes and a tank rolled over the foxhole while the German cowered under the tank, then popped up to affix a mine to the rear of the vehicle. I imagine this sort of activity is modelled in the general close assault action in CM.

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...