Problem with text on G4 dual 500 w/system 9

It's your ATI drivers. You need to either upgrade or downgrade, but there are too many different releases – between ATI, Apple and game-specific drivers – to contemplate, so I can't give you any specific advice. Hang on, yes I can. Download the Radeon drivers from www.atitech.ca – they're for both the Radeon and the RAGE 128 in your G4, and they should fix the problem.

David

New map!button.gif

A number of users have posted saying that the latest OpenGL extension (1.2.1) has solved the black-on-black text problem that the newer Macs (with ATI Rage 128/Pros) are seeing. I don't believe that the latest ATI Radeon/128 driver has this OpenGL extension.

To get it requires downloading a 40Mb demo of "Cro-Mag Rally". The following thread has a link to this demo or you could possibly email some of the people in the thread and they may email you a copy of the OpenGL extension itself (which is 3.6Mb in size - check your mailbox's attachment limits).

OpenGL thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/012650.html

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 12-06-2000).]

schrullenhaft's mostly right

- ati radeon software will not fix this

- ati software bundled with opengl 1.2.1 will fix this

- a disk image of opengl 1.2.1 is part of cro-mag rally demo 1.0.2, which is 40M

as i said in forum thread 12650, anyone is welcome to ask me for the ati files to avoid waiting for 40M to straggle onto their system

i've been emailing people to get opengl 1.2.1 posted by apple, but no luck yet

john, aka mac os integration engineer

Guest Big Time Software

Elementalwarre, thanks for your efforts. It is VERY frustrating for us, but totally unacceptable from a customer standpoint. Having a KNOWN nasty bug remain out there, when the fix has already been approved for public use by Apple (i.e. 1.2.1 going out with that game), does nothing but hurt the customer for no good reason.

As the old saying goes... I love my Mac, but I got a bone to pick with Apple smile.gif

Steve