Another question: Overlays

Slaggg

Am I missing something? Or has the procedure for creating overlays changed? Using the this board's search feature (I'm learning smile.gif ) I found instructions given by Mr. Sterrett back in 2000:

Options-->Enable CPX Umpire Mode

Reports-->CPX Overlay to File

The CPX Overlay to File option seems to be missing, I've even started a Multiplayer Network game as host to see if it 'appears'. No dice. Any ideas?

And thanks to all for bringing a newbie up-to-speed :D

You should be aware that it might not do what you really wanted, in any event.

The v3 Overlays were a non-playable TacOps file that provided a snapshot of friendly positions and spotted enemy units.

v4 Overlays are Overlays in the traditional sense of a map overlay, which TacOps can load and "overlay" onto the map so to display control graphics and the like.

Well, my idea was to create a few different shots of the map: intel of enemy spotted via "satellite", an overlay with objs and movement corridors outlined via a paint prog as if it were "drawn" w/ a grease pencil, and perhaps different graphical versions of a map reflecting how a military unit has a much older map of a region with terrain and infrastructure having changed since the map was created. Something my unit had to deal w/ often in Germany. Thought it would make for an interesting addition to the game.

User Guide, Chapter 17, page 77 through 78

View Overlay.

Loads a map overlay file which was saved in bmp format. This feature is intended to allow an expert user to create and then display optional military operational control graphics on a TacOps map. The first time that this menu item is selected, the user will be asked to select a bmp file. The selected bmp file will then be loaded and blended into the current TacOps battle map display. Any part of the bmp file that is not "perfect" white, will be added to the TacOps battle map. Any part of the bmp file that is perfectly white will be ignored. Subsequent selection of the "Map/Menu Overlay View" menu item will toggle the map overly display off and on. Shortcut. Press the F5 key.

Change Overlay.

Allows the user to load a different overlay without having to restart TacOps. Shortcut. Press the Shift + F5 keys.

Creating an Overlay.

The best way to create a map overlay is to use a paint program that is sophisticated enough to allow editing in layers. With such a program the user can place a bmp file for a TacOps map into a background layer and then use one or more layers above the background for the placement of the operational control graphics. Once the overlay is finished, the user can temporarily hide the background layer and then save or export only the layer or layers with the operational control graphics to a bmp format file for subsequent use as a TacOps map overlay.

A less efficient way to create a map overlay would be to use a simpler, program without layers such as Microsoft Paint to open a copy of a TacOps map file in bmp format and then add the operational control graphics directly to the map surface. The drawbacks to this approach are mainly that drawing errors in the overlay are difficult to correct and the overlay is not easily changed after completion.

The older version of the map: create an entirely new overlay, without any transparent sections (nothing in white) with the new data. Import as overlay. Tada! 8)

"intel of enemy spotted via "satellite", an overlay with objs and movement corridors outlined via a paint prog as if it were "drawn" w/ a grease pencil" -->

Get a good screenshot program that can snap the entire TacOps screen (not just the part that is shown); Hypersnap is probably your best bet. Take the screenshot, edit, and load it in. Getting it done in a timely manner may prove a challenge. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...