Various CM questions (forgive me!)

Howdy folks

I'm just curious:

1. Is the scenario editor also a campaign editor? Can we make a force and take it from one engagement of our own creation to the next?

2. Can we make/use graphical mods in the gold version of the game? I saw a jpeg somewhere (CMHQ?) of two shermans with the Korean-war style roaring tiger camouflage. Can this be done with the release version?

3. Please - please - make a modern era CM. Please. I'm an infantryman and CM is already a valuable learning tool for us (25% of my unit has the beta demo) as is, but throw in M-1A1s, M-2s, ATGMs and whatnot... you'll make a lot of people wet their pants. Maybe even a few government contracts... <hint, hint>. smile.gif

Thanks folks and remember - fire and maneuver

------------------

hehe

Answers as I understand them-

1- yes - Search for more info

2- yes - Ditto

3- Not in the first release, but BTS has not said no it won't happen maybe as a later addon.

Nice to see someone else asking for a Modern Addon... That seems to be a rather popular request... I take the fact that Steve hasn't said know to be a good sign for the future... but first I want to see the game smile.gif

-EridanMan

Just to try to help clarify #1 a bit better...There are not "campaigns", they are Operations. You make a large map, and play out battles on portions of it...depending on how you do, is what part of the map you play the next battle...maybe the same, maybe a portion of the old part plus some new, maybe all new...

#3 The last couple of times this came up, Modern CM is a few years down the road. If I have it right, East Front, then North Africa/Italy, then the early part of WWII in Europe. Maybe have the last two in the wrong order.

Guest Big Time Software

Modern requires a HUGE rewrite and additional code. We want to do it, but it will never ever be a "module" or minor effort. We are talking about a year and a half's worth of work MINIMUM. Plus, Charles and I don't know enough about modern stuff so we would need help. We have all the help we need, don't worry smile.gif, but it means coding will go MUCH slower than for WWII stuff because we know it FAR better.

Having said that, we want a modern version too smile.gif

Lineup is as follows:

CM2 - Eastern Front

CM3 - Med. Theater

CM4 - Early war, from Poland to fall of France.

No Pacific game is planned. Major reasons for this that a SEARCH of this BBS will dig up. This has been covered many times before smile.gif

Oh, and you can not take a force from a unique scenario/operation to another one. Instead you fight in one large engagement, called an Operation. Search will turn up hundreds of posts on this.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Modern requires a HUGE rewrite and additional code. We want to do it, but it will never ever be a "module" or minor effort. We are talking about a year and a half's worth of work MINIMUM. Plus, Charles and I don't know enough about modern stuff so we would need help. We have all the help we need, don't worry smile.gif, but it means coding will go MUCH slower than for WWII stuff because we know it FAR better.

Having said that, we want a modern version too smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh...

Well... if you ever need a modern infantryman to try out a modern version of give you specific info (like the M60 MG tends to jam every other round wink.gif ), you know where to look.

Greg

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Steve,

Once the game is out and you've gotten the TCP/IP thing done, will you continue to improve the gameplay and/or graphics with patches for a while before you start working on CM2? Of course, as the graphics are only easily modified .bmp files, there will be alot of user modified textures out there, so...that aspect probably won't be necessary.

So what I'm saying is...Just how long will you continue to support CM1 before progressing to CM2. Can't wait to go up against a slew of T-34s, BT-7s, T-28s, Su-76s, etc..

------------------

"I want you to remember that...no bastard ever won a war...by dying for his country...He won it...by making the other poor dumb bastard...die for his country."--George S. Patton

Heck, for CM4 just replace Tigers with Matilda I, II's and Char B1's. The equivalent of Shermans are Mk III and IV GERMAN tanks. Replace the PIAT, Zook, and Schrecks with Anti-Tank Rifles and 25mm AT Guns. You get British, French, Belgian, Dutch, German, possibly even Norwegian. I am unsure wether or not that this will include the Polish campaign. The Poles had almost 1000 AFV's, unfortunately most of them were little tankettes.

I have a book about early war camoflage for Allied and German tanks, and let me tell you that there are HUNDREDS of different types of AVF's used by both sides. The Matilda II in 1940 was more scarier to the Germans than a Tiger towards the Allies in 1944. At least the Allies could hope to crack a Tigers armour with the weapons they had. In 1940, only the 88mm could possibly crack the hull of a Matilda II, and none of these guns were fitted on tanks in this period!

Part of the original questions included:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Can we make a force and take it from one engagement of our own creation to the next?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

to which BTS responded:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Oh, and you can not take a force from a unique scenario/operation to another one. Instead you fight in one large engagement, called an Operation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps I mis-read the question, but I thought he was asking whether it was possible to put together his own force -- his own companies with particular names for the unit leads, and with his own particular mix of supporting elements.

This would seem to help out scenario developers because they would only have to input a particular set of units once. Without this, it seems like you'd have to re-input this stuff for each scenario you had those units in.

Guest Big Time Software

We will not continue to enhance CM1 much, instead spending the time putting in improvements as we do CM2. It is our intention that the improvements for CM2 will be backwards compatible, but there are technical issues that might prevent this.

No, you can not create a "template" force in the editor. It is something we might add in the future, but we had to put the Editor "to bed" sometime and such features did not make it in.

Steve

Guest GriffinCheng

I can imagine how it would be very complicated to make "CM: Modern Battles" based on what I see from the beta demo. Just the addition of combat helicopters would give BTS *big rework* on the Engine, AFAIK, 'copters cannot be handled "abstractly" like air strike and it is a kind of "flying tank"! 'Copter can attack gound targets hidden behind land masks, perform NOE flying or flying high, deliver troops and engage air targets. IIRC, Hi-24 is one of the first combat 'copters armed with IRAAM (R-60 in this case) in service.

BTW, how about WW1 version of CM? Or era covered by "Age of Rifles"?