Map Edge Gamey Stuff

I was jus thinking bout the gamey map edge tactics people have been referring to lately an was offering a suggestion. Why couldn't the width of the maps be increased in inverse proportion to the number of turns for said battle to such an extent that it wouldn't make good sense to waste alot of time out "there". In other words, if you make it so you couldn't effectively get back in time for the points by edge hugging, then people wouldn't ride them as much. Maybe even make the maps where the width is even greater than the length, an lessening the amount of turns a bit forcing people to go near the Vicory areas more. Not sure how this would work out in real game life but...hmmm?

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

[This message has been edited by Grognerd_Fogman (edited 08-07-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

I think the problem with that would be that it leaves the attacker wide open to flank attacks. If you don't know what is in the area you have to go and find out, unless you are Patton and don't give a damn about flanks. In reality, the map-edge would be the boundary to the next unit. Don't go there, because there is a risk of fracticide, of muddling up your unit by crossing over the other's advance path etc. pp. So simply having lots of land there won't help either.

------------------

Andreas

This has been discussed a bazillion times here on the board already. Varioius "solutions" (one noted above among them) have been offerred and none really solve the "problem". I would highly suggest doing a search to find out what BTS and many others have already discussed on this topic.

Mikester out.

Increasiing the map would not help cure this problem... try playing a 5000pt game the map is huge ....we have close too 20 flags inthis game .....facing 10/000 pts ..it is impossible to defend against that effectively as it is due to size. I think this should be tweaked down if anything not up....(and Im not positive yet this map may be a flook)