A Note

This is an excerpt from a note I sent to a friend of mine this morning. Comments are welcome:

I finally grabbed the Combat Mission demo a couple days ago. I like it, but I don't know if I like it as much as Close Combat...yet. It certainly is the future of computer combat simulators, though. I get the same sort of feeling from it that I got playing Warcraft - I knew the idea was sound, and that Warcraft II was going to be much, much better. I think it would also help if I had a little more horsepower so I could run it at a higher

resolution. It autoswitches to I think 640x480 on startup, although I can have all the goodies turned on at that resolution and it's pretty smooth most of the time.

I wish every individual soldier was displayed instead of blocks of three men representing a group of up to twelve. It lacks a little in that department compared to CC, since you not only don't know the names of the guys who get killed, you never even see most of them. I also think it's hard to get a feeling for the lay of the terrain because there aren't any shadows, so there's no way to judge things from an aerial view [or any perspective, actually]. If it were up to me I'd make some sort of quick-reference map with a complete overhead view and color-coded topography.

I like the fact that the sounds and graphic resources are so easily editable [with ResEdit] - obviously a bunch of Mac guys who made the game. I already gave the Germans camo jackets and helmets, and changed the sky and horizon graphics. I also added some sounds.

Pretty good package. I may buy it at some point. The demo version I have is 1.02, but the full version is 1.05. Do you have any idea what has been improved?

Universal Wolf:

Just a quick point or two that may help. Remember that CM is akin to the "Squad Leader" concept from the old Avalon Hill days. The emphasis is on the squad as an organic whole, not the individual soldier.

Secondly, I refer you to the BTS Manifesto (if you haven't read it you should) http://www.battlefront.com/about/index.html to see where these guys are coming from. The are making a wargame for wargamers, not a mass market. There is one standard touchstone that all is derived from. What model produces the most realistic, in terms of real world dynamics. That is, whats the actual physics of a shell flying through the air and impacting on a particular surface at a particular angle. Most games, both board and computer highly abstract this. With CM is is probably as close to "real" as you can get.

That being said, the reality of computing power such as it is cannot really support everything being highly realistic. Some trade-offs are made (trees are sprites for example) and the three man squad image also. But remember, behind that icon the dynamics of the men are modeled, from weapons mix to numbers, to morale etc.

The result as so many people and reviewers have come to conclude is simply the best and most realistic combat simulation out there. Some people lament certain aspects, but if you examine the objection it usually turns out that not that it is "best" but rather it is different from what they are used to. CM is differnt from, say CC. For someone used to CC CM can be hard to embrace, because it IS so different, change to something new often is a bit off putting. Esp if a person has a heavy background in FPS games.

I suggest you go to the BTS site and read the opinions of reviewers, read the comment of the somewhat bonzo people that inhabit this world, they are passionate! But there is a reason for that passion. For so many of this, this game is what we have been waiting for since Panzerblitz/Squad Leader (the board games!) days. The bottom line, CM is not glitz, it is like combat, real, at times gritty and absorbing.

I appreciate your willingness to share and by implication learn about what others feel. Feel free to ask others opinions. Do not like some other recent threads spout off " Well I have the demo and this needs to be changed" That only gets flamed. There are over 150,000 posts that touch on the "why" of about everything. From tracers, to dead bodies to running machine gun crews!

Welcome and I strongly urge you to buy the game because there is even more to it than the demo shows. Just ask around.

JD

BTW there are 2 Macintosh Mod Managers available to handle the mods and sounds without having to go thru Resedit. They are at CMHQ under the third party mod section http://combathq.thegamers.net/ . If you haven't poked around there and the Annex do so as it gives you a good idea of the CM world

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 12-15-2000).]

Thanks for the responses. I had expected that somebody would have brought up the same issues I have.

I'm definitely not a hard-core wargamer. I've never played Squad Leader, for example, but I have played lots and lots of Close Combat, and a few other wargames too. Please don't think I'm complaining about CM, 'cause I'm not. I'm just commenting.

Imagine if you could see every member of each squad, and each of them had a name, rank, and specific weapon. Then imagine you ordered them to enter a building. What if they could break formation on thier own and each individual find a suitable spot from which to fire? Wouldn't that be nifty?

I guess it comes down to this: I hope the CM team is not reluctant to steal good ideas from other wargames shamelessly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UniversalWolf:

Imagine if you could see every member of each squad, ... What if they could break formation on thier own and each individual find a suitable spot from which to fire? Wouldn't that be nifty?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I admit that would be nifty, but do I want it? No!

Why? Because in most games I control a couple of platoons or more. As the company commander I want to give orders to my platoons and keep track of my squad's status and locations.

In the CM scale it's better to improve the AIs function as platoon leader than keeping track of individual soldiers.

I'm not very fond of having to crawl around in view 1 to find the exact hull down position for each of my AFVs and exactly where LOS goes for each squad. This is the kind of task that squadleaders should be able to solve by themselves...

Cheers

Olle

Regardeless of what olle petersson said about AI improvements, It would be really nifty to see all of your squads units. I do agree with Olle though, on th AI. I have found on a number of occasions the yearning for a better AI. And yes, it is good. Its just that when your tank is aiming at a machine gun team and an enemy tank is to your right...I am thinking: hey you should be targeting that tank instead of that infantry mg. But oh well. Its not perfect. ; )

I would like to see all individual units displayed though. I think it will make the game even more personable.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

I would like to see all individual units displayed though. I think it will make the game even more personable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unplayable more like it - all individual soldiers displayed in a batallion size battle? 'Battlefield clutter' is the word we are looking for here.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-18-2000).]