suggestion for a new terrain feature

I have searched the forum in an attempt not to duplicate a previous thread. In spite of my anxiety, I have decided to post this suggestion. The simulated foxhole is a nice touch, but I would like to suggest a "slit trench" network as a new terrain feature...say perhaps CM2. Is it possible to create that mod? I imagine the defense factors would change, however. John

Visually showing a trench doesn't make sense as long as infantry squads are abstracted in the first place. Essentially, the "foxholes" you are referring to are an abstraction of all kinds of foxholes, trenches, makeshift dikes etc. that an entrenched infantry squad would be having.

you don't seriously believe that there really is supposed to be a foxhole big enought to hold up to 12 men? see, the trench is already there, albeit in an abstracted way to fit the abstracted infantry occupying it.

not trying to condescend, just my .02 $

yours sincerely,

M.Hofbauer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kelly:

I have searched the forum in an attempt not to duplicate a previous thread. In spite of my anxiety, I have decided to post this suggestion. The simulated foxhole is a nice touch, but I would like to suggest a "slit trench" network as a new terrain feature...say perhaps CM2. Is it possible to create that mod? I imagine the defense factors would change, however. John<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm fairly certain it will be in CM2. Trench warfare wasn't nearly as prevalent on the West Front as on the Eastern Front, hence it noing being depicted. Trenches we common on the Eastern Front.

I remember a previous post where BTS confirmed they were going to put in trenches for CM2. from what they were saying it wasn't going to be a new terrain tile per se, but a fortification you bought. it is supposed to be shaped like a roadblock(long rectangular shape) and you are supposed to buy several and link them together.

cant remember which post that was, but i remember trenches weren't the main topic....

------------------

"Life is pain. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

Visually showing a trench doesn't make sense as long as infantry squads are abstracted in the first place. Essentially, the "foxholes" you are referring to are an abstraction of all kinds of foxholes, trenches, makeshift dikes etc. that an entrenched infantry squad would be having.

you don't seriously believe that there really is supposed to be a foxhole big enought to hold up to 12 men? see, the trench is already there, albeit in an abstracted way to fit the abstracted infantry occupying it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it doesn't simulate a system of trenches. If you have to move your squad from foxhole to foxhole (even if the foxholes are only metres apart) you expose them to enemy fire without being able to provide them with any cover. It makes it a little difficult to shift squads to reinforce another defensive position.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Kelly:

The simulated foxhole is a nice touch, but I would like to suggest a "slit trench" network as a new terrain feature...say perhaps CM2. Is it possible to create that mod? I imagine the defense factors would change, however. John<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John, I think that a slit-trench and a foxhole are rather similar things. From the pictures I have seenand accounts I have read, a slit-trench was a trench for two guys, much like a foxhole. The current foxhole graphic is an abstraction, AFAIK, because it just represents a number of foxholes/slit-trenches in which the squad is situated.

Real trenches are different from either of these, and BTS have said they would model them in CM2. I have read very few accounts featuring real trenches in North-West Europe. Hope that helps.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-27-2000).]