Where can I find the realistic maps?

Rolf

Hallo smile.gif

From the wargamer review:

"...TacOps 4 will also introduce a range of realistic maps that move away from the sketch-type map used in earlier releases, (which are still used in TacOps 4) and should add to the look and feel of the game."

Where can I found this maps?

I have the TacOps 4 - full.

Greetings

Rolf

fu

Yes, would love to know where the realistic maps can be obtained. Also, some pretty cool screen shots of maps depicting urban/coastal terrain are shown at the Tacops 4 web site under reviews "TacOps for Combat Mission gamers, part 3 - A short guide to modern equipment for WW2 players". Are these present in the full release of the game?

I have just downloaded the demo and am really enjoying the game and was wondering how many different maps are in the full release. Are all the scenarios in the full build of the game reflected in the Scenario Guide in the tutorial? Lastly, do any scenarios make use of the new civilian/non combatant units?

TKS in advance

Robert

Look in the "More Maps" and "Print Maps" folders inside the "TacOps Extras" folder.

There are 54 Type2 maps inside the "More Maps" folder. These maps are for human vs human games and are loaded via one of the custom scenario template files. Descriptions of some of the extra maps are below.

The maps that are mentioned below as being based on scans of military paper maps are probably what the reviewer was referring to.

Index of 'Extra' maps.

Map 100. Low fidelity map of Greek Valley training area in South Korea.

Map 200. Low fidelity map of Gagetown training area in Canada.

Map 202. Low fidelity map with a slight resemblance to Great Falls, Montana. 29 km by 28 km. Grid 6476 to 9348.

Map 211. Low fidelity map of NTC Fort Irwin. Grid 3220 to 6205. Topo map scan background.

Map 213. Low fidelity map of NTC Fort Irwin. Grid 3208 to 6293. Topo map scan background.

Map 215. Low fidelity map of NTC Fort Irwin. Grid 3022 to 6092. Topo map scan background.

Map 218. Low fidelity map of NTC Fort Irwin. Grid 1535 to 4505. Topo map scan background.

Map 219. Desert map with 19th Century Fortress and nearby industrial area.

Map 220. Larger version of Map219. Desert map with 19th Century Fortress and nearby industrial area.

Map 230. Low fidelity map of Irvington area near Fort Knox, Kentucky. Grid 6292 to 7102. Topo map scan background.

Map 231. Low fidelity map of area southwest of Fort Knox, Kentucky. Grid 7396 to 9173. Topo map scan background.

Map 240. Low fidelity interpretation of a heavily wooded and soggy USMC training area at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Includes quite a bit of ocean and coastline. Topographic map scan background. Grid 7736 to 9820. Topo map scan background.

Map 250. Very low fidelity represenation of an area in Northern Afghanistan 60 kilometers Southeast of the city of Kunduz. The map is centered on the villages of Ishkamesh and Kokabulak. The map is based on a map sketch from page 20 of "The Bear Went Over The Mountain". The companion article is titled "Blocking, Searching For And Destroying A Guerrilla force In Ishkamesh Region" by Major A. M. Kovyrshin and is included in the map set as an Acrobat Reader PDF file. 12 km x 13.8 km map.

Map 251. Very low fidelity representation of an area around the village of Jurm in the Varduj Valley of Ahghanistan. The map is based on a map sketch from page 34 of "The Bear Went Over The Mountain". The companion article is titled "Blocking, Sweeping And Destroying The Mujahideen In The Varduj Valley" by Major S.V. Krutyakov and is included in the map set as an Acrobat Reader PDF file. 16 km x 17 km map.

Map 260. Map 001 with a North/South river added at the middle of the map.

Map 321. Low fidelity map of area in Jamaica. Grid 4170 to 7089. Topo map scan background. Extensive coverage by sugar cane fields (yellowish areas) encoded as being at maximum growth. Originally coded by the Canadian Army. CAUTION: Map is very large and will require an extreme amount of memory if a color setting greater than 256 colors is used.

Map 323. Low fidelity map of area in Jamaica. Grid 4170 to 7089. Topo map scan background. Extensive coverage by sugar cane fields (yellowish areas) encoded as being at minimum growth. Originally coded by the Canadian Army. CAUTION: Map is very large and will require an extreme amount of memory if a color setting greater than 256 colors is used.

Map 325. Low fidelity map of Kingston/Spanish Town area in Jamaica. Grid 9083 to 0996. Topo map scan background. Originally coded by the Canadian Army.

Map 500. A remote landscape with jagged, rocky mountains and rolling grassland. Includes a river, mountain trails and a small airfield. Particular attention was paid to modeling realistic LOS in mountain terrain. Good for scenarios involving a rugged, mountain defense or ferreting out a terrorist group in a mountainous region. Size: 15 km x 11 km. Author: Riki Tikki (John Mckinney).

Map 502. Designed for amphibious assault scenarios, this map features beaches, cliffs, mountains, swamps, mangroves, a river, a port, sugar cane fields and an airport. Also features an at-sea staging area for launching helos and landing craft as well as a setup area for reinforcements. Size: 24 km x 12 km. Author: Riki Tikki (John Mckinney).

Map 503. Low fidelity map of urban area surrounding the American Embassy in Brunei.

Map 504. Wooded map with five to nine kilometers of ocean on the West end and several industrial installations.

Map 505. First in a series of "snow maps" designed specifically for the Global Thunder MBX. Portrays a snow-covered coastal area with a northern shoreline, several hills, a small town and an airport. Varying movement costs are used to represent drifts and deep snow of unknown depth. Size: 10 km. x 8 km. Author: Rikki Tikki (John Mckinney).

Map 506. Second in the "snow maps" series. The same as Map 505 but with a southern coastline. Size: 10 km. x 8 km. Author: Rikki Tikki (John Mckinney).

Map 507. Third in the "snow map" series, this map represents low-lying coastline with ice floes in the north and an inlet with a small harbor and woods in the south. Size: 13 km. x 10 km. Author: Rikki Tikki (John Mckinney).

Map 508. Fourth in the "snow maps" series. A mirror-image of Map 507 except that it is mostly all on high ground, giving the effect of a Norwegian fjord. Size: 13 km. x 8 km. Author: Rikki Tikki (John Mckinney).

Map 510. Low fidelity map of Petawawa training area in Canada. Grid 0883 to 2495. Topo map scan background. Originally coded by the Canadian Army.

Map 515. Wooded and industrial map similar to Map015 but with more woods and a river on the East end. Size: 15.3 km. x 6.6 km. Authors: Riki Tikki (John Mckinney) & Mitchell Mock.

Map 521. This map represents a steep sided valley in Afghanistan with a couple of small towns and a scattering of villages. Designed for Soviet/Mujahadeen engagements, particularly with convoy ambushes in mind. Size: 17 km x 7.7 km. Author: Mark Bisson.

Map 522. Based on a satellite image of an area of Serbia with a couple of additions to the landscape from the author. Includes urban areas, mountains, the edge of large lake with associated marsh and an airfield. Size: 15.7 x 11.6 km. Author: Mark Bisson.

Map 540. Medium-size map with large area of broken high ground forming several valleys. Lightly wooded with a mix of clear and rough terrain, it includes an industrial plant and small city as likely objectives. Designed with running defenses against a larger attacker in mind. Size: 15 km x 8 km. Author: Alex Ingles.

Map 541. A variant of Map540, this map has less woods to allow longer-range weapons to come into play. Size: 15 km x 8 km. Author: Alex Ingles.

Map 542. Medium-size map with large area of broken high ground forming several converging valleys. A river on an east-west line runs through it and there are several medium-sized woods. With a mix of clear and rough terrain, it includes bridges, an industrial plant and small city as likely objectives. Size: 15 km x 8 km. Author: Alex Ingles.

Map 544. Medium-size map with some large areas of high ground. Two rivers run through it on a North-South line and there are several medium-sized woods. With a mix of clear and rough terrain, it includes several industrial areas, towns and bridges as likely objectives. A shore-line allows for amphibious operations. Size: 15 km x 8 km. Author: Alex Ingles.

Map 545. Medium-size map depicting a valley on a North-South line. There are several large to medium-sized woods on the sides of the valley with more sparse coverage on higher elevations. With a mix of clear and rough terrain, it includes an airfield, two towns and an industrial area as likely objectives. Size: 15 x 8 kms. Author; Alex Ingles.

Map 565. Developed with small PBEMs in mind. This map depicts a small town with an airport uphill from it. Marshes are traversable (occasionally Rough 3), and sometimes block LOS. The airport is coded as road. Some non-wooded hill areas are Rough 1. Size: 10 x6 km. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 567. This map depicts Dansville, NY (pop. 6,000) with a nearby airport, both in a valley. Much of the rest of the map is higher elevation. Area is a mix of woods and roads, with fordable streams. The author has also provided alternate map images for Map567. Switch between the original view and alternate print map, topographic map and aerial photo versions of the map image by copying a map file. Instructions included in download. Size: 13x14.5 km. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 570. This map depicts the Wayne County (approx. 380km north west of New York City) area of New York State, starting around 27km east of Rochester, NY. To the north is Lake Ontario (one of the Great Lakes). Bounding the map to the south is the Erie Canal, Ganaragua and other creeks. Orchards and drumlins are prevalent. Some areas are swampy. Size: 30 x 29 kms. Companion map 571 shows the western 15km of this map and an additional 7 km farther west. Map 572 shows the eastern 15km of this map and an additional 7 km farther east. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 571. This map depicts the Wayne County (approx. 380km north west of New York City) area of New York State, starting around 20km east of Rochester, NY. To the north is Lake Ontario (one of the Great Lakes). Bounding the map to the south is the Erie Canal, Ganaragua and other creeks. Orchards and drumlins are prevalent. Some areas are swampy. Size: Approx. 22 x 29 kms. Companion map 570 shows the eastern 15km of this map and a farther 15 km to the east. Map 572 shows the adjacent 22km east of this map. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 572. This map depicts the Wayne County (approx. 380km north west of New York City) area of New York State, starting around 42km east of Rochester, NY. To the north is Lake Ontario (one of the Great Lakes). Bounding the map to the south is the Erie Canal, Ganaragua and other creeks. Orchards and drumlins are prevalent. Some areas are swampy. Size: Approx. 22 x 29 kms. Companion map 570 shows the western 15km of this map and a farther 15 km to the west. Map 571 shows the adjacent 22km west of this map. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 573. This 7x30km map depicts largely flat, open terrain. A principal road and railroad run from the west to a city in the east. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 574. This map depicts complex terrain with many small hills and woods. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 575. This map depicts a canal and river running east to west, with numerous woods, towns and hills. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 576. This map depicts mostly flat terrain to the west, high terrain to the east. At the east end is a river and canal. There is a power plant on the shore to the north. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 577. This map depicts hilly terrain to the west, with a canal and river. To the east terrain is lower but orchards are common. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 578. This map depicts mostly flat terrain with many orchards to the west, with a mix of hills and woods to the east. In the east is a river and canal. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 579. This map depicts a city in the west, adjacent to a canal and river. Woods are common in the center and east. Orchards prevail in the east along the shore. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 580. This map depicts a shore and bay in the west, with hills to the east. There are many woods. A city is in the east, along a river and canal. Orchards prevail in the west along the shore. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 581. This map depicts mostly flat terrain, with a river and canal in the west; open fields in the center; and woods, orchards and a bay in the east. Author: Darius Kasinskas.

Map 650. Low fidelity interpretation of an area in Germany from Hammelburg to Thulba.

Map 780. Two major rivers dominate each end of the map with a central ridge and farm land in between. The western side of the map contains a large city complex where the eastern side is more rural. The map is well wooded in the west that continues to thin as you go east and picks back up once you cross the eastern river. (Size: 30 km. x 15 km. Author: Jeffrey Gilbert.

Map 861. Wooded map with modern urban areas and expressways.

Map 900. Low fidelity map of an area in Germany including the towns of Eiterfeld, Schenklengsfeld, and Ransbach. Grid 5621 to 6531. Topo map scan background. Originally coded by the Canadian Army.

Map 902. Low fidelity interpretation of the Gagetown Canadian Army training area. Grid 1052 to 1965. Topo map scan background. Originally coded by the Canadian Army.

The 66 paint files inside the folder named "Print Maps" are printable color copies of TacOps Maps. These maps are useful in creating battle planning or situation maps. The maps are in gif file format and should be accessed through a graphics or paint program.

For use as a battle planning aid, print a map at reduced size so that it will fit on a single sheet of paper. You will find this very useful for sketching future objectives, primary and alternate fighting positions, and for easily studying the terrain and its effect on fields of fire.

To build a situation map, print a map at 175% to 200% enlargement so there is plenty of room for marking on it with grease pens or transparency pens. Tape the printed map pieces together, and either mount the finished paper map under hard plastic (cheap poster frames are excellent for this) or laminate it with adhesive coated clear plastic film (a cheap roll of clear plastic "shelf liner style contact plastic" will do fine). Don't trim the map too closely to the bottom of its frame - if you leave plenty of white space at the bottom of the map you will find the area useful for making marginal notes. If you carefully plot the positions and movements of spotted enemy units over the course of a few turns, you can often begin to see a pattern which is very useful in determining the enemy's plan, his primary axis of advance, and his major force disposition. A situation map is also very useful for recording and prioritizing enemy sightings for future artillery targeting.

Originally posted by Rolf:

From the wargamer review:

"...TacOps 4 will also introduce a range of realistic maps that move away from the sketch-type map used in earlier releases, (which are still used in TacOps 4) and should add to the look and feel of the game."

Am I the only one who finds this comment misleading?

These maps are not just "better", just different. That are maps which do not use the funcional (terrain-telling) way of drawing that the standard maps did. I find that most of then look better, but are -of course- much harder to play until you hit F8, which isn't an improvment in aestetics either smile.gif

Just another questions:

Now I found out, there are only 15 singelplayer-maps contained for the whole 200 SP-mission (with low map variations and the most maps are equal to the other. 30% are MAP001) …

And that makes me a bit nervous:

TO4 is such a nice simulation, that I will play for years. That is my goal.

But from 200 Missions (!) there are 76 (!) that use MAP 001 (??). This is what I not understand.

On the other side(!), there are over 60 excellent maps unfortunately ONLY for multiplayer, with a high map variation: rivers, bridges, oceans, coastlines, seas and all the things that I would like to see in SP.

That means to me:

1) In about 30% of my time I see the same map, same locations …

2) It bores me, if I see “ever” the same map, with “ever” the same surroundings …

(after a few weeks I can name every tree over there … ;)

3) And it annoys me, because I know, there are so many other interesting maps, (rivers, bridges, oceans, coastlines, seas, same maptype with => terrain-telling; how REDWOLF said, see Map 502, 572) but I can’t play them, because they are only for MP.

My questions:

- Is it realy so, how I have interpret it?

- Are there TO-Fan- or Downloadpages where I can get other SP-Missions?

- I conclude (1): There must be a big multiplayer community (where they meet for gaming) because there are so many MP-Maps and so little for SP…

- I conclude (2): If a profi takes some of the extra-maps, it must be “simple” to set up the maps for SP.

Don’t understand me wrong: This is no criticim – TacOps4 is in my opinion the best tactical game that I ever played! And I am playing computer-games for a long time (more exact: Since the VC20 is coming out. But VARIATION is for me a big factor to focus my interest over a longer time. Therefor this questions.

Greetings to all TO4-Fans

Rolf

(sorry, for my english. I know it’s not the best)

The major will probably show up with more specific info later today.

For TacOps 4 the multiplayer had priority. If anything like a map-independent AI had to make it in, we would have had to wait another year or so. There had been a very clear vote from the community to release TacOps 4 with multiplayer now.

The programmed opponent in TacOps works by having a few plans hardcoded for each scenario. These are expressed directy in the main program's source code and cannot be written by a user. However, what you can do is exchange units within boundaries, like discussed in another recent thread on this forum. But no new maps.

I actually kind of like the fact that you play different missions on the same map, the maps become close friends after a few PBEMs (or enemies if you constantly lose...). On a more serious note, in multiplayer you are under extreme time pressure, and you are usually glad that you at least don't have to spend time studying the map.

As for the multiplayer community, expect that there will be some multiplayer games organized very soon. I am personally busy until the weekend of 11/12 October and others seem to be in a surprisingly similar situation. You should be able to get PBEM games with no problems.

Your english is fine, BTW, expect you have some screwy character for the single quote "'" sign.