more keyboard shenanigans

1. I would like to remap the keyboard. I'm used to Half Life, et al, and it's more comfotable for me and less awkward to use the WASD keys (I have a french keyboard so actually for me they are the ZQSD keys, but leave it to the French to do things differently). Left hand moves the map, right hand clicks. (Hey, I'm just the avant-garde people, just wait till all those guys who play Age of Empires show up here!) Most every game has remappable keys anyway, but perhaps there is a technical reason why this one doesn't.

2. On my aforementioned French keyboard, I'll be doggoned if I cant find the 'select previous unit' button. It's supposed to be minus, but after weeding through all the é's and the ç's I sure as heck can't find it.

3. But what I REALLY want is my 'Toggle Display State' button. I'd settle for a button that turns every thing on and off, paths, targets, warnings, etc with the touch of a button. I'm still convinced it's a cool idea.

Later,

DeanCo--

or how about MYTH type navigation? Same pricnciple, but it goes something like:

w-forward

s-back

q-orbit right

e-orbit left

a-pivot left

d-pivot right

z-pan left

x-pan right

c-zoom in

v-zoom out

The mouse can also be used in conjunction with the keyboard and for clicking. I find that if you only use the q,w,e keys, reversing with the mouse, you get a very smooth (almost like driving) navigation about the field.

Something maybe to consider.

I too have wished for a small routine allowing the different functions to be mappable to the key of choice.

Another nice thing would be if the mouse wheel just coming into common usage could be used to scroll the map back and forth.

Maybe in CM2,

ianc

Well...sure, whatever you're used to. And I'm sure a lefty finds the default setup just fine. Just a question of what you're used to.

BTW, If I keep suggesting stuff like this, it certanly isn't because I'm trying to knock the game, far from it. I haven't felt this way about a game since Civilization, and I weigh my words carefully when I say that. Just friendly suggestions, that's all.

DeanCo--