System Reqs- Changes?

I pretty sure it will still work on lower end systems

But it won't look as good, ie if you don't have enough v-ram, Cm will halve the textures sizes etc - you can notice this on the Cm beta demo, I have anyway, when I ran 4 programs at once wink.gif

Try running 4 is instances of Cm to see this in action biggrin.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

Guest Big Time Software

This is a really tough question to answer. Some of the things that we have done can be turned off for lower end systems, like transparencies. So those will have zero impact on lower end systems. The big change we have made that is of concern (to some degree) is the increased sizes of the basic texture sets. This isn't so much of a problem for framerate as it is for VRAM.

The real problem is that the hits to the hardware aren't the same for each scenario. Some will run just fine (and look great) on the bottom of the line system. Other scenarios will be unplayable in our opinion, but maybe not in some others (matter of taste sometimes). This is a function of map size, terrain density, number of units, and number of vehicles. The more/biger, the more the hit on the system.

So far we have yet to even come close to maxing out a 16MB card, but a 8MB card can be overwhelmed in some cases. However, CM is coded up to smartly downgrade texture quailty until 8MB has been reached. So if you load up a scenario that hogs up 9MB, you will notice only a small decrease in quality for some specific game elements (like some buildings or the trees) while the others will remain high quality.

We will post our best guess for system requirements when we go to release the Gold Demo. Then if you fit that definition, download the Gold Demo, find it plays OK, then you are all set. Again, there might be some scenarios (monster ones!) that you won't be able to run, but I can assure you all that the bulk of the included scenarios will be around the size of the demo's.

And remember... you have a scenario Editor and a sceanrio generator at your disposal. If you find you can't load up 10 scenarios for example, have the computer make some new ones, make your own, or download some that others did up. Then when you upgrade your hardware (gotta do it sometime smile.gif) you'll be all set to play the big'uns smile.gif

Steve

So Steve... as a member of the CM Macintosh crowd, I'm wondering how CM will run on my PPC G3 400 (192 Mb RAM... the real stuff, not virtual) with an ATI Rage 128 card (8 Mb)? Does the fact that I have an 8 Mb card mean I won't be able to run some of those "big'uns"? (I know, I know... I'll have to wait for the gold demo to see, but I thought I'd ask anyway to get your pre-demo opinion.) smile.gif

Miyamoto:

I'm betting you'll be able to run it just fine. Is that the iMac DV you're describing there? If so the 8mb Rage 128 is a fine card but had to be slowed down for cooling reasons. I'm sure it will handle the game fine because you have a fast enough processor.

I only have a 12 meg Voodoo 2 and I hope it does fine.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com