Slightly OT: Pronounciation

Guest Mirage2k

Guest Mirage2k

I'm just wondering what I'm supposed to say out loud if I'm talking about a StuG. "S-T-U-G?" "Stug?" "Stew-G?"

-Andrew

Survivor: AP US History Exam

Depends on if you're talking to an American or a German, to an extent.

A good German would pronounce the "St" as "shT", thus, "SHTug". The vowel sound should rhyme with that in "book" or "good". And at least in parts of Germany, a final "g" is softened into a "k" sound.

So, "shtook". Unless one of our German contributors straightens me out.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 05-16-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

So, "shtook". Unless one of our German contributors straightens me out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am from the area credited with the best high-German (around Hanover), and was a shining example (and not popular) for correct pronounciation in my high-school in Bavaria... I would say that sounds about right - remember to keep the 'OO' short though. And the ending would sound like a half-way sound between a soft 'G' and a sharp 'K' in my pronounciation.

Which reminds me - Steve or Charles, do we get to hear funny Sandhurst accents with the English when they call their men for a cuppa, err, to the attack? And the Highland Division in broad Scots accent? And do all the Irish Guards sound like Gerry Adams or Ian Paisley?

And with CM3, maybe an Indian NCO saying 'Goodness Gracious Me' when the Germans attack with mortars?

You have done a very good job on the Germans, so I have high hopes!

All in good fun, you should hear me murder the English language...

------------------

Andreas

Guest tom w

we've always called them StuGs

like you would say Mugs

like a coffee mug

I suspect this is not correct but

we just say Stug

-tom w

My German was from school, then unlearned and relearned on the streets of Frankfurt-am-Main and central Hesse (Lauterbach- how I miss it there!). So it is hardly exemplary, and now quite forgotten.

Funny thing: I went up to Hanover with another American to a British kaserne for temporary duty. We went into the British enlisted club to play some pool with some British and German soldiers. The Brits were from northern England somewhere, speaking from their throats in bizarre slang.

Finally I asked the Germans, in German, to explain what the Brits were saying, and they did (most of the Germans up there had learned English with the British accent)! I had to have Germans translate English into "American" for me....

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Finally I asked the Germans, in German, to explain what the Brits were saying, and they did (most of the Germans up there had learned English with the British accent)! I had to have Germans translate English into "American" for me....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why am I not surprised... If they were 'Geordies', from Newcastle, there is no way you can understand them when they speak their native dialect. That is quite something. Where was the barracks, in or around Hanover? I am from Nienburg originally, and there is (was?) a large Army of the Rhine barracks.

------------------

Andreas