Stug must be pronounced "stooge"

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWorthing:

As with everything in the game, it's the way you use it and luck. I've played against the AI where I knocked out all those shermies with the stugs in just a couple of turns. I've had games with the ai where it knocked out all of my stugs. I've played CE pbem where I've I had one stug left vs. 2 Sherms.

Both KO'd in the same turn.

You have to be patient with those stugs, I guess. They seem to work better in ambush roles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't you and I have a game of CE going during the demo days and you had something like 2 or 3 StuGs left and I had only 2 Shermans? I'd gotten 1 of your StuGs just as we lost track of the turns and sort of dropped the game.

Either way that was just after I'd posted up here about how poor the StuGs were in CM.

Then I realized a turn into it in the game with you that the terrain in CE is excellent for StuGs. That was a turn too late for two of my Shermans.

Andy

Precisely... he did the same thing to me and taught the value of the noble StuG, properly empoyed.

He is the only person who has beaten (nay, buggered) my Hamstertruppen thus far. I surrendered abjectly, as Allies, in CE beta demo. I learned valuable lessons. He is now eating snow for his misdeeds, but I commend him to all who scorn the StuG.

He is not much on taunts, but has mastered certain artless tricks, and is formidable, in a stunted way.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

That encounter happened at Kuuterselkä during the night between June 14 and 15 in 1944.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's the one.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In the end the counter attack failed when Soviets poured reinforcements in the area. Finns lost 5 Stugs (one intact when its crew abandoned it)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one was quite funny. A HE shell exploded next to the tank, and crew thought they had run into a mine. If in CM a regular crew would abandon its vehicle just because of a shell landing next to it, people would be tearing their hair off. (And I bet someone did... they just couldn't complain to BTS)

• 2 weeks later...

Seeking only to add closure to this provocative thread, for the benefit of future CM-ologists, I announce the vindication of the honorable StuG on the Field of Honor.

The evil Babra and his foul minions have lost, convincingly, which thereby proves that StuGs do NOT suck. For a more elaborate taunt and exciting details, you may visit p. 42 of the endless Peng-Challenge thread, if you've the stomach for that sort of thing.

StuGs rule!!! biggrin.gif

Congratulations on your victory. It is reassuring to know that someone out there can use them successfully. I eventually had very good success with them (kept all three alive in Chance Encounter) by using an artillery strike to force the ami TCs to button. Once I had the spotting advantage it was relatively easy to pick them off.