Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Answer to the San Diego tank chase in '95 concerning the locked/unlocked hatch.

Hi guys, remember the thread on whether or not the M60 tank chase in San Diego if the hatch was locked or not?? Well, I have just been watching a police chase special on The Learning Channel and the last story that I just watched was about this story.

Well, for a little background, one of the pursueing officers was a tanker in Desert Storm, so he was aware of how to deal with the situation. OK, so finally when the tank high-centered on the median wall, that officer jumped up on the tank with bolt cutters and was able to get the hatch open.

The suspect turned out to be headed to a Memorial hospital to exercise an act of vengeance for two malpractice suits he had against it. Imagine that. redface.gif

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Guest Pillar

Is there online video footage or anything I could see? I've heard about this event but never had a chance to see the coverage.

Thanks

There's vid of it. It shows up in those "Wildest Police Chases" shows now and then.

He was doing fine until he hit the median. Moron. They teach you in Basic to always take obstacles like that at a 90 degree angle.

Since no one was killed (except Mr. Brain Fart who stole the thing), it's great fun to watch. I dare say that every tank driver has dreamed of doing this. It's just that the rest of us have functioning frontal lobes, so it's just a fun fantasy.

I wonder what they would have done if he hadn't gotten himself stranded. Get a LAW? Call in an Apache?

- 19 Echo (formerly Mike Zeares. Decided to just reregister)

I remember watching that on "America's Scariest Police Chases" or some such Fox offering. I was astonished at how quickly the police were able to gain entrance.

------------------

When I die I want to go peacefully, like my grandfather, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car