Autosave before the "DONE" button pressed?

Twice now I have lost a completed turn by losing the TCP/IP connection before I hit DONE on the replay (I was hosting both times).

Since the data has already been generated and results implemented, couldn't the autosave do its thing right before the replay is shown (or even immediately after its first viewing is complete?)

Does anyone else share this concern?

Guest Madmatt

It does. Sounds like you are doing something wrong. If your connection breaks while you are watching the replay. You just have to reload the autosave that is automatically created. You will then get into a special orders phase where you can not give any orders, you must hit GO to continue. The movie that is then generated will be the same as the one that was interupted.

Be sure to load the autosave from the faster computer just to be safe.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-16-2000).]

Thanks, Matt. I checked this out and I see now that all my orders from the previous turn are intact. I think I just panicked when I saw my guys in their same positions from the previous turn.

Couple of questions remain for me though:

1) Is the game going to generate the data again based on those orders, or just replay a data file it already compiled somewhere? If it is generated again, wouldn't some things happen slightly differently, since there is some randomization based on percentage chance of hits, kills, etc?

2) It seemed like I was able to issue/modify orders during the special phase you mentioned (though I wasn't able to resolve because my opponent is currently unavailable). Will the game simply disregard these order changes or is this a bug with v1.1-16?

Thanks again for the support.

Guest Madmatt

I did some testing on this on my home lan. I disconnected during a movie and then reloaded the autosave files repeatedly and each time the turn (movie) resolution was indentical.

I also did some prelimenary testing with what you did but I want to do much more testing before I share the results of that.

It *seemed* to not make a difference if I gave orders, but I need to confirm this still.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-17-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Autosaves during setup are iffy since neither guy has pressed DONE and as such no info has been sent yet, at least thats how I understand it. I will check into it to be sure.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Saves during setup are iffy since neither guy has pressed DONE and as such no info has been sent yet, at least thats how I understand it. I will check into it to be sure.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK Thanks.

Maybe a quick ALT-S during the set up phase will do just fine.

• 2 months later...

OK, this is an old post, but it's relevant to my problem. Playing a tcp/ip game tonight, we kept getting disconnected. No big deal, we just restart where we left off. Except that I keep losing my orders for that turn.

When we start up again, I've lost the orders I just gave and I can't give any new orders. Are we doing something wrong or is this the way it's supposed to happen. Usually, we get disconnected in the middle of me giving my orders. We start the game back up, and there are my guys - sitting ducks for his troops. My guys are just all standing around like they forgot what they were doing.

Once or twice a game, I can handle - those are the breaks. But I've lost four out of my last eight move orders. Fortunately, I'm on defense, but still I need to be mobile and respond to his threats. Any way we can fix this?

Keith