The Tanks of CM

Guest rune

Guest Madmatt

Very well done guys! biggrin.gif

I highly reccomend to everyone out there to check this feature out PLUS Wild Bill and the boys have part 3 of their Scenario Editor article up AND also have a very good review of a Nijmegen scenario that you may just get to play when you get your little copy of Combat Mission in the future! wink.gif

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest MantaRay

The part that I hate about those pics is that it makes me want the game even more. What a nice looking game this is turning out to be after all!!! Damn, Steve and Charles(or Charles and Steve biggrin.gif) you guys make me want to stand up and salute you!!!!

Ray

[This message has been edited by MantaRay (edited 03-16-2000).]

Gentlemen!

Greetings to you all. Just got done checking out Wild Bill's site. Very impressive pics on the Pz IV. Can't wait to blitz one around a battlefield.

One thing i noticed though which seemed odd and i wonder if anyone else picked up on it. If you look at the side view of the "G" model you see it has only 3 return wheels (check out the combat photo just beneath it to compare). Now correct me if i'm wrong but i always thought the Pz IV had 4 return wheels throughout it's production run. Could this be a Pz III by mistake?

Guest Big Time Software

Good eye smile.gif You are almost correct. Every PzIV up to, and including the "H", had four return wheels. The "J" had only 3. There were also noticable, but not major, differences between most of the models other than the gun and armor. The PzIV was one of the first models we did and that was during a time of intense caution about overloading video RAM capacity, so we reused one set for all PzIV models. That way if you have a G, J, or H in the sceanrio there is only one hit to the VRAM instead of 3. We might make a different texture for the side of the G and H if we have time. Thanks for reminding me smile.gif

Steve

The poor Germans, they were in such dire straits later in the war they had to skimp on everything. Propellers made of wood, cheaper uniforms, synthetic petroleum products, fewer return wheels. It's interesting though that even with critical materials in such short supply, and manufacturing methods being streamlined, even while production of many items increased, quality rarely seemed to suffer.

The Japanese on the other hand, while in a similarly stark situation, did indeed have quite a few problems with quality control in the later stages of the war.

It'd be interesting to hear folks speculate on why that might've been.

------------------

Darryl

Guest Big Time Software

My guess is that Japan didn't have a strong industrial base prior to WWII while Germany had the best in Europe, and probably only second to the US. So bombing in Japan was more effective since there were fewer targets in a *much* smaller piece of land (another huge factor I am sure!).

Steve

Steve,

Thanx for the reply re: Pz IV return wheels. As i watched this topic slowly work its way down the chat list without any new hits i was afraid i would never get my answer.

Anyways, i agree 100% on your decision to use one image of the Pz IV throughout the game. 3,4, 20 return wheels doesn't matter to me. You could put in square wheels if you like. I would not want the game's release date to be delayed by one nanosecond over something like this. Thanx again for taking the time to respond, NOW GET BACK TO WORK!!! biggrin.gif (repeat after me," Code,Tweak,Test, Box,Ship"..."Code, Tweak"...There you go you got it!)

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Colin,

If you mean the side shot drawing, did that come out of a Squadron Signals book on the PzIV? Looks like it did. I have the book but we didn't use it as a reference source for CM. PzIV is a very well covered vehicle and we have more info sources than we need for this bugger smile.gif

Steve

The side scan was, IIRC, just done by someone at TGN who was helping prepare the article. I'm pretty sure the side scan picture has nothing to do with CM's vehicle creation etc other than someone used it in the same article

Guest Big Time Software

Colin, buy enough books and you are bound to find the same art in more than one smile.gif However, I just double checked and the side shot of that PzIV is in a book called "German Tanks of WWII" by Hart and Hart (no relation to the old cheesy US TV show smile.gif). Pretty much every piece of art in this book, which is a great book BTW, can be found in several other books I have. The artist's motto is, after all, "create once, sell as many times as possible" smile.gif

Heads in CM right now are a mix of real, in progress, and just plain silly. We'll fix them up shortly!

Steve

Makes sense though. If I were an artist I'd try to get published any where I could.

The one I have isn't a bad book but they don't seem to be consistent with their info. Ah well it's pretty small so if I'm playing CM in the future I can easily look up a vehicle and find out how big of a threat it is.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

HMM....

1. That is a conversion of my face, and NO, ,I do NOT look like George Washington.

2. On second thought, I do look like him, and everyone who has money with my picture on it should send it to me immediately! smile.gif

Thanks for the compliment. We are holding off posting any more pictures until we have the final texture set. So hang in there, I will post again went I add more tanks in.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Is it just me, or does the driver of the Mk IVH look just like George Washington?

Great pics, btw.

Ethan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rune:

HMM....

1. That is a conversion of my face, and NO, ,I do NOT look like George Washington.

2. On second thought, I do look like him, and everyone who has money with my picture on it should send it to me immediately! smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, i left all my Washingtons in the garter belt of some redhead at the "landing strip" wink.gif

Now, you want to talk about tanks! Them were some King Tigers, baby!!!