Friendly Fire

Okay, I'm playing a night scenario, and my sim soldiers have been subject to a tremendous amount of friendly fire. No matter what I do, they shoot at each other. I've even tried to keep them within command radius of the HQs, but there has been no lessening of friendly fire.

This topic isn't even discussed in the manual (what else is new?), so how does one get by this. I can't keep them close together, because artillery will destroy my sims.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Doc, I'm afraid you have to grin and bear it. smile.gif

Night is really really bad for FF, IMO. The only way to mitigate is to make sure all your troops are close to each other, or otherwise occupied shooting enemy targets closer to them. I think quality of troops also counts.

You might trying to hide the offending units so as to stop them from shooting.

Sorry I'm no help on this one...

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

I have to agree there. I have played a number of night battles and occasionally experience some freindly fire incidents (one rather protracted friendly fight comes to mine). If the truth be told I was quite pleased at this! Yet another hassle I have to worry about as a real life commander translated in the game. As far as being in CC, while I suppose logically you would assume that makes sense, (no FF in that case), it's been my experience that about half the freindly fire incidents occur right there within the same platoon, (And even in broad daylight too!) It's very confusing and dangerous wih all that stuff flying around and everyone keyed up.

I did experience a weird CM situation where a company was attacking to the south against an enemy just at the edge of their visual range at night. The manuever element started to take a little FF as it crossed over the objective. That I could understand. However oddly enough one of the overwatch elements started firing at another overwatch element 50-60 m away to the North West. I thought that was odd, but I wasn't watching them close enough to see if maybe the traget unit, which was behind, had perhaps fired first in error, thus sparking the return fusilade. Either way it did not strike me as some major bug, just something that happens from time to time in real life. I confirmed this with Charles Moyland (BTS) also. What I had to do was put the firer on HIDE orders to get him to stop. ("bad units! bad units!")

Los

[This message has been edited by Los (edited 11-13-2000).]

(warning, sligt spoiler for "Midnight Madness at Prum")

I played this scenario yesterday (excellent, btw) and as it was at night was very careful about FF. I had encircled the germans by the roadblock and was bringing my men back through the lines and made very sure that the men coming back first walked around the flank and re entered my lines from the right direction. Since there was no FF in this episode, I assume this is the way to handle it.

Dr. Brian,

I will assume that you did a search on "Friendly Fire" and scanned through some of the 99 hits.

I have a slight off-topic comment regarding "friendly fire". The term was not used during WWII; it was invented during the Vietnam War. The term used in WWII was "amacide" (from Latin "friend" and "killing"). (Source: Christine Ammer, Fighting Words).

However, the problem is equally serious whether you call it FF or amacide.

Regards,

The Adder

http://www.geocities.com/adder1972/

------------------

"The Germans are such a cruel and inhuman race; they have no word for fluffy"

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

I can't keep them close together, because artillery will destroy my sims.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I am intrigued - what are sims? Another unit not discussed in the manual (what else is new)?

Or are you trying to merge games, with 'The Sims' being roped into a squad damaged by amacide. Pray tell, inquiring minds want to know.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-13-2000).]

Andreas,

"Sims" as used in my post has to be taken in context with "sim soldiers" as written. Abbreviated for simulated soldiers, which is what they are … little 1's and 0's running around on terrain modeled by 1's and 0's. Remarkable, isn't it? wink.gif

Adder,

Re: Search. Nope. Ninety-Nine plus hits is not "scannable" in my book, but the equivalent of reading a dissertation. That would defeat the point of the Internet, and the interactive nature of this forum … for me at least. biggrin.gif

All,

Thanks for responding to my post. Your help is GREATLY appreciated! biggrin.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Brian (edited 11-13-2000).]