Tactics for retreats

I've been searching through the various posts looking for good suggestions on how best to handle retreats. While I've seen many good suggestions, I have yet to see any good comments about timing a successful retreat.

I find that I always attempt to hold the line a little bit too long. Even though I have arranged my positions to assure that I have covered lines of retreat, covering fire and all the rest, by the time that I order my reasonably intact troops (0-20% casualties) to pull back, the enemy is just too close and my fighting retreat turns into a rout.

I've been adjusting my timing for pulling back, but now it seems as if I'm moving too early and giving up my initial line of resistance without inflicting the casualties that I should.

Has anyone discovered a good range at which to break off combat? Or is it a matter of casualties? Or is it a matter of both?

As an aside, Ihave recently discovered the joys of a German counter attack in Riesburg. I managed to move some troops around to the flank of the American attack and totally disrupted the attack on that flank. It was not sufficient to stop the advance on the left, but saved the troops on the right. Even though the Americans on that side of the map had more troops than my combined defensive line and counter attack force, they turned from the attack to engage my flanking maneuver. My flank attack turned what I felt was going to be a loss (due to bad luck with my 88's) into a victory.

I am afraid that rather than learning general tactics that I can apply in any situation, I am learning how to defeat the AI in Riesburg, Last Defense and Close Encounter. I look forward to having more than 3 scenarios in which to get my butt kicked.

I appreciate any advice that the experts on the board may have for me.

Thanks,

-Lurker

Always withdraw your HMG and MMGs well before the enemy gets there. Use them only for suppression and long range casualties. Have your HMGs fire from their new position, making the enemy drop their heads down, then you can retreat your Infantry forces. Against tanks, well, the best bet is to retire your infantry with a lot of smoke. This goes pretty good against just attacking infantry as well. Even the enemy's smoke screen can aid your retreat. Find some dead ground, then run your troops as fast as you can through that. Sometimes you might need a rearguard, but, their escape is virtually hopeless. Use artillery and tanks to supress enemy HMG's and MMG's. It is always good to have some sort of AFV with a good sized gun in reserve, just for such an occasion. They can throw HE or smoke to cover your retreat. If you wait too long, sometimes it is better to have your men hold their ground rather than to retreat. Best to get some enemy casualties for the ones that you will lose anyway.

Firing smoke from a tank to cover an advane or retreat is much better than firing a few HE shells that MIGHT cause one of your enemy formations to drop their heads for a second.