Forward Observer Casualty

In reading Doubler's "Closing with the Enemy" it seems that it was common for many different company personel to be familiar with fire control technique in case the FO got hit. In CM once the FO is killed no more artillery. It seems to me that a platoon leader or other officer should be able to substitute in case the FO is killed.

BTW, this is my first post and the game is by far the best computer war game I have ever played.

I agree that plt/co leaders should be able to call in fire. Speaking from modern terms, even squad leaders (of which I was one) are able to call it in. Doesn't mean you'll get it--the cannon cockers have priorities. This is a "game" however, and one of the best handling of arty that I've seen. Tac Ops is very good also.

Most of all--have fun!

-----Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

In CM, the spotter units are something of an abstraction. They represent both trained FOs and grunt officers/NCOs calling for fire. So don't think of them as people that can be replaced. Think of them primarily as the means with which you as the grunt commander communicate with the off-board arty. Thus, the death of a spotter unit indicates either that all people trained to call for fire have died, OR the means of communication with the arty has failed.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman