The **Real** RPG with CM

Hi there.

we have started an experiment of *real* RPG multiplayer using one option available in CM:

the possibility of SAVE GAME even when playing by email.

What we have set up is 8 players, 1 Chief Commander and 3 Captains/Hauptmann per side.

Each player team share the same password. Each commander has a Company under his orders. Players will in turn build-up the PBEM turn issuing orders to the units they control, saving the game and passing to the subseuent Captain. When all 3 Captains/Hauptmann have issued orders to units (along directivs of Chief Commander) the file will be sent to the GM (CC)) This last will - in our case - order vehicles , mortars, arty and support units.

At this time, and ONLY at this time, the GM will hit the GO button instead of saving the game and create the PBEM file.

This GREAT idea of ours make do for misunderstandings, needs of screenshots, etc etc as each player will actually execute his orders in CM direclty to his units. Only difference he will save the game and pass it along to his fellow Captain/Hauptmann. That's it.

Simple, clever, a touch of genius.

Guest Pillar

That sounds like what Capt. Foobar is doing, you should check out his post there was lots of fresh ideas added as well you could benefit from.

I'm also starting an "RPG". I think however my idea is a bit different. It seems your idea and the Captain's focus more on having more than one player control a single force, sort of like "Team play CM".. To see what I'm planning, check out the "Another CM RPG starting" post.

If you have any ideas to add to either concept, please email me! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

That sounds like what Capt. Foobar is doing, you should check out his post there was lots of fresh ideas added as well you could benefit from.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will check that one. Thanks for the tip.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I'm also starting an "RPG". I think however my idea is a bit different. It seems your idea and the Captain's focus more on having more than one player control a single force, sort of like "Team play CM"..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly put: Team play CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

To see what I'm planning, check out the "Another CM RPG starting" post.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will go there...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

What kind of interplayer communication will you have? Can the CC attach vehicles or support weapons/arty to the captains for their command?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be a nice add-in (BTS? any interest in that?) in CM. As it would be nice to be able to change the names of the represented soldier, that is if I am commanding a Company then CM would allow to have a Capt. Seahawk commanding the A-1 Company.

What you say we are doing ourselves by self-regulation. CM could probably do that: identify the players by password and allow orders only to units under player control.

Our setting is with a Company for each player and the GMs will make the scenario, buy units, setup units divided into areas for each Company and assign Companies and goal to the players.

Rest of communication via email of course and exchanging the saved game until all orders are issued. At that time the GM sill produce the PBEM and send it to the other team GM.

I'm also starting an "RPG". I think however my idea is a bit different. It seems your idea and the Captain's focus more on having more than one player control a single force, sort of like "Team play CM".. To see what I'm planning, check out the "Another CM RPG starting" post.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well actually the idea is different. Ours (me and Lorak) is multiplayer within same side: many US players against many Germans player each playing his role in CM in a larger scale battle. Communications via email and collaboration on the field, not on email exchanges between players and a Master. Each player will be *playing* in CM.

But there are some ideas like disabling the show all moves and limiting the view to each own part of the battle.

Guest Pillar

All combat in my RPG will be in CM. All Operational and Stategic command is done on an operational map.

All roleplaying, such as prisoner interrogation and other various things is done through email.

All combat in my RPG will be in CM. All Operational and Stategic command is done on an operational map.

All roleplaying, such as prisoner interrogation and other various things is done through email.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean there will be only one player using CM? (actually two, the other GM) This is what I meant: Capt. Foobar is also along those lines. One GM uses CM and reports the results, the various players will read the emails and issue orders to the GM who will play accordingly on CM.

What we do is the opposite. Email is for things like: "I need support arty on this section." Then the player controlling the Arty, if he decides so, will - in his turn in CM - decide if he can fulfill the request and plot the orders accordingly direclty using CM.

There is no intermediate level (GM) between one player and CM (as in RPG games). Each player will instead use CM at each turn, be on the battlefield, see the movies and check results with their eyeballs, see what his units see. Hear the screams and the sounds of war.

Didn't know if anyone is following this. But he is the update.

Due to FOW, I can only say that it is the Germans vs. the Allies. We don't even know what country or units we are facing.

Seahawks Team (allies) have finished doing their setups and have now sent the PBEM file to me. The file has now been sent off to my commanders to enter their moves. So far it seems everything is going well.

Battle is is about 2500-2600 points per side on a large, rainy, hilly map. Should be a lot of fun with a lot of space for action and movement.

I'll keep you updated of our progress. Not so much with AAR's (FOW)... but with how the play system is working out. If this runs smooth I think several people might like to try it.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring