will it be windy?

Guest ciril

Guest ciril

Is wind going to be simulated?

I did a search for "wind" but I got a bunch of Windows-related messages.

Normally wind would scatter and push smoke and dust, and affect shell trajectories.

Ciril

I'm under the impression that you will not see a "graphical" representation of wind. I.e. - your smoke will not drift in the direction of the wind (it may disappear quicker, however). I believe you will get sound effects representing windy conditions.

I have no idea if wind is calculated into the shell trajectory. Quite possible though.

Guest Big Time Software

Wind is not directly simulated. We have discussed this a couple of times, but the Search feature isn't perfect frown.gif

The thing is that simulating wind, realistically, in a 3D environment is way too complex and CPU intensive even if we could do it graphically. So at the present time we feel that not directly simulating it is better than doing a half assed job.

As for smoke, we have factored this into the "burn time". The problem with "pushing" smoke and dust is that in a 3D environment (as opposed to a hex based 2D one) there is no way to do this abstractly and have it not fail miserably to simulate reality. And so again, until CPUs are several times faster and graphics cards are vastly improved, it is probably better to leave this out all together.

As for dust, this isn't a huge factor for the Western Front and is not possible to simulate at this point due to CPU and graphics card limitations. Some of the reasons are the same for why we don't have vehicles and troops leaving tracks. At the company or battalion scale this is asking far too much from even the fastest system.

Steve