Gun elevation and firing into the dirt

Kestrl

I've noticed in a few QB battles I've played that when you have a StuG IIIG on the crest of a hill or firing up a hill that sometimes its gun can elevate only so much and then it just fires into the dirt and I've had that happen on a lot of vehicles which don't have a turret and limited traverse and elevation for the main gun.

I know CM has diffrent rotation speeds for turrets on allied and axis armored vehicles but does it model elevation speeds on main guns?

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

One) It's doing some messed up area fire.

Two) Some messed up kid broke the gun.

Three) ITS A BUG!!!!

By-god heres another....

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Yeah, I seen this weirdity also. In one of the scenarios playing against the AI, I used an infantry squad to crawl up to a hedge row where about 25 yards away was a dug-in US anti-tank gun. When the infantry became sighted halfway through the hedge, the gun lowered it's trajectory into the infantry unit, but the realistic factor was the blast was only about 15 to 20 yards maybe less infront of the barrel. They almost had to spike the gun into the dirt to do it. Hmm, gamey? I'd wager that in reality, the gun crew would have either used small arms or taken the next bus to Seattle, but I doubt they'd fire the barrel into the ground in front of them.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

The reply to my question needs a little work..... I was just asking if CM models gun elevation speeds for diffrent vehicles and i never did say it was a bug.

I've had vehicles with and without turrets have problems targeting a enemy unit effectively because they were positioned on a slope or at a weird angle and couldn't elevate their main gun and fired into the dirt or fired above the target because the gun couldn't be postioned. I think that its very historic because if you have a StuG IIIG positioned on a steep hill it will have problems targeting a enemy unit effectively and will probably fire into the ground " into the dirt " or fire above the target.

The main gun on armored vehicles can only elevate or lower so much before it has to reposition its self to engage targets and i like how CM models gun elevation.

Yes your right. I did misunderstand, and while I agree that what you say about the Stug would be true in the situations you outline. However, I'm wondering about the CM gun elevation process overall. While it may represent a realistic situation for a turretless gun vehicle, it doesn't pan out that a towed gun crew would attempt to wield an anti-tank gun like a mauser. Personally, I don't particulary like that.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss