Opinion on Books-and topic of DYO Battles

Hi guys,

I need your opinions (if any) on two books I might add to my collection. They are : "Company Commander" by Cahrles MacDonald, and "A Drop Too Many" by Gen. Frost of the 1st Brit. Abn. They look good, but just checking.

Also, my first round of scenarios to be distributed, I have decided, will be based on the excellent (so far) book "Before Their Time" and the battles portrayed in it. Be prepared... smile.gif

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

Guest Scott Clinton

I have both and both are very good IMO.

The Frost book does not go into as much detail on the individual unit combat actions IIRCC, but both are a very good read.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I haven't read Frost's book, but "Company Commander" is a classic and a must-read.

I just finished James Gavin's "On To Berlin", which was only slightly better than average. Gavin was a great soldier and officer who was present at so many interesting events. Unfortunately, the book seemed a bit too breezy for me. While it contained some interesting bits (particularly his bitter criticism of Eisenhower)it was pretty bland overall.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

...and after you've finished "Company Commander", get MacDonald's "A Time for Trumpets". You will have a few months worth of DYO scenarios right there.

Haven't read the Frost book. I'm in the middle of Keegan's "Six Armies in Normandy" now and lovin' it.

I would take a look at Battle of the Bulge : Hitler's Ardennes Offensive, 1944-1945 by Danny S. Parker. I am about a third of the way into it. It is a fascinating day-by-day account of the battle. Great maps, fantastic pictures, lots of primary sources, full OOB, great balance of perspective. If you every doubted that wars are won by logistics, give it a read.

Loved Company Commander. Frost's book is on my list too.

Regards,

Josh

I agree Mk4,Charles McDonald´s "Time for trumpets"is one of the best books on war I´ve ever read,it´s real dirty and gritty,and contains loads of would-be scenarios.Martin Middlebrook´s "Arnhem 1944"

is quite interesting,it also features on many of the battles that took place round,you guessed it,Arnhem.It also lists how many men of each allied unit that actually made it to the battle.

G-D

One way to get reviews of books from total strangers (not the strangers who post on battlefront) is to check amazon for readers reviews. As far as making scenarios, I'm thinking of adapting fights from Rommel's 1937 infantry book to CM, since there's maps and the scale is about right.