Some things I've learned about the Lynx

First off, thanks to those who replied to my earlier inquiry. Most helpful.

Now, here are a few things I have been able to learn on my own about the Lynx.

1. In all my reference books, I've been coming across the German word "Luchs" and wondering what it meant. Turns out it is the German word for Lynx. Now we're getting somewhere. Thank the gods of the Net for online German/English dictionaries.

2. Crow & Icks (1975) Encyclopedia of Tanks:

PzKpfw II Ausf L (Luchs) = SdKfz123 =[?] PzSpWgII. An improved production model of the Research Model Vehicle VK1303. 4 man crew, front plate had 2 low narrow visors, rear of hull undercut, rotating turret, mg trigger on traverse hand wheel, overlapping disc type road wheels, star spoked sprocket and idler, first 100 [of VK1303?] w/2cm gun, next 31 w/5cm KwK L/60 later replaced w 2cm KwK 39 L/60. 15 feet 2.5 inch X 8 ft 1.5 inch X 7 feet 3 inch. [There was also a Berge Pz (recovery vehicle) version of the Luchs.]

3. Also, I found one useful post in an armor forum on the Heavy Metal website. It confirms that the Lynx was a PzKpfw II variant, and suggests that in CM you would choose a Lynx over a Puma if you were concerned about the bogginess of the terrain. (Tracks better than wheels in that case.)

Re: PZ II Richard Lindquist

03/23/2000Ê8:31:07 AM

Refers to Reply#62370.

Ê

Ê

Murph said:

The one Pz II that was IMHO the most important of the gun tanks (not conversions) was the PZ II D (Schnellpanzer) with a different suspension, and a 55 kmph road speed which was pretty good for those days. It would have made a good recon tank. The Pz II L (Lynx) was a good attempt at a recon tank, but armored cars were better by this time.

I believe that in those Recon Abteilung in bad trafficability areas, there was a variation in the TOE (ask Claus B) where the armored car company was replaced by a Lynx company and the kubelwagen companies were replaced by Kettenkrad companies.

Also, from George Forty, 1995, "World War II Tanks" (p. 73 ff.):

"Ausf L, the Luchs (Lynx) SdKfz 123 was produced from experience gained from the [PzKpfwg II] Ausf G & J. It looked like the VK901, but had a combat weight of just under 13 tons. Although 800 were initially ordered only 100 were built (between Sept 1943 and Jan 1944) before the project was cancelled. It had a crew of four and a top speed of 37.5 mph; it saw operational service with reconnaissance units."