Map Making Questions

Jeff Gilbert

Now that I am almost finished recovering from a lightning strike, I am going to get started on creating a new map.

My question is and, I beleive the Major may have already answered this one:

Question: How is it possible to create "impassable" terrain? Specifically, I would like to create a beach that has bluffs overlooking it.

I think the prior answer had something to do with Rough4 but I am unable to find the prior post.

Thanks in advance ...

Three options.

A. Code the terrain "Rough4" and assume that moving across it will be so slow that the player will choose to go around it.

B. Draw a ploygon in a bright color on the map art file (bmp) for each prohibited area along with possibly a text annotation that explains the detail and trust the player to not enter that area.

C. Advise the map user to use the engineering menu item to place obstacles on that terain that can not be crossed or cleared.

Originally posted by MajorH:

No promises but I will take another look at the map data structure for the cell encoding and see if there is some quick, low risk way that I can slip into v4 a new entry for impassable terrain.

Major, I hope that this is possible. Impassable terrain would give map makers a lot more options and make things like minefields and obstructions more effective.

I did some exploring last night and it looks like it may be possible. I discovered three unused bits in the terrain cell data structure. That isn't much to work with but I'll try some coding experiments this morning.

Allan: Since you have successfully distracted me away from what I originally intended to do today, perhaps you should host some TacOps v4 network test games today in my place. smile.gif .

[ June 08, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

Done.

From my v4 change log ...

020608 Mac & Win. Enhancement. Added game engine support for three levels of impassable terrain (if previously encoded into a Type2 map through use of the TacOps Map Tool v104). Unless a road is present, Level 1 can not be entered by wheeled vehicles, Level 2 can not be entered by tracked vehicles or wheeled vehicles, and Level 3 can not be entered by dismounted infantry, tracked vehicles, or wheeled vehicles. The presence of a road negates impassable terrain.

020608 Mac & Win. Enhancement. Revised the TacOps Map Tool to allow the encoding of three levels of impassable terrain in a Type2 map. Incremented the version number of the TacOps map Tool from v103 to v104. Use the Terrain Editing window in the TacOps Map Tool to encode a Type 2 map with impassable terrain.

020608 Mac & Win. Enhancement. Added the "Reports/Trafficability" menu item. When this menu item is selected, the battle map will be replaced with a trafficability overlay. Roads are painted white, clear and rough1 through rough4 terrain are painted with proportional shades from light gray to black, and water is painted with blue. Level 1 through level 3 impassable terrain is marked with a red and gray square containing a "1", "2", or "3".

[ June 09, 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

Thanks Major H !

I was perfectly content with your 1st responce on using Rough4 ... But taking the time to add in an actual impassable terrain code is wonderful.

Thanks again

PS - I have a small herd of nephews now all young teens that I have introduced to the old board gaming ... TacOps4 will be their next "gift from uncle." Hmmm ... maybe I can get them to play on my LAN ... it sure beats the "twitch" games they play there now ... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...