CM2 suggestion: Terrain identification

Here is a simple suggestion which I have wanted many times:

Allow the use of the cursor to explore the terrain, so that hovering the cursor over the map shows the underlying terrain type. Don't make it a popup text, just show it in a fixed unobtrusive position in the window. The elevation could also be shown.

Cliffs can be especially hard to find, and they do have a severe impact on the possible moves that can be made.

Guest claespiper

A workaround for that problem is to mark any troop or vehicle for movement and point at the terrain you want identified, and the type will show.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Claes

I don't think this request needs to be coded in.

To do what you are asking just select any one of your units (I think ANY unit will do) and then give a move order or an LOS order and move the curser around, and the curser will tell you, Light building, woods, Scattered tree's or whatever ever,and give you the damage of buildings if any. It doesn't matter that you don't want to move there, or target that location, but the curser will tell you ALL about the location you move it to if you are attempting to move one of your units there.

Is this not simple enough the way it is now?

:)

-tom w

I know that can be done and I use it, but no, that's not simple enough. It's a workable workaround, but it's not quite good enough.

First, I would like to have this info available any time.

Second, I need to remember to cancel the fake move order, or I may screw up my orders for that unit (there is no undo, remember!).

Ho to all!

I've notated that is very difficult to see the real height of terrain because there is a unique texture over it is possible to imrove eventually some brightnesses on some parts of the cliffs on order to be clear to understand the height of the hill only seeing it?

Bye!

Francesco

Robert Olesen wrote:

> I know that can be done and I use it, but no, that's not simple enough. It's a workable workaround, but it's not quite good enough.

Oh, well in that case, just drop Charles a line and I'm sure he'll be delighted to knock up a patch that will make you happy.

> First, I would like to have this info available any time.

Have you considered that you shouldn't have this info at all? Realistically, how many battles would you go into where your scouts have gone out with measuring tapes and sized up the battlefield beforehand? If you stumble upon a cliff, and it screws up your battle plan, that's war. Unfortunately in CM there's an easy way to avoid this. If anything it should be removed, not standardised, as it is unrealistic.

David

button.gif

David,

Yes, I have considered the "realism" aspect. There is no correct answer to that. I can easily imagine a situation where a commander would have a much better map of the battlefield than CM gives me. I can also easily imagine a situation where a commander would not know the terrain very well. I can, however, not imagine a commander who would not do a great deal to know as much as possible about the terrain before committing his troops to battle.

On the topic of realism, which I'm sure has been beaten to death many times before, I find myself playing the game just as much as a game than as a simulation, though I do appreciate the simulation aspect. It _is_ a game after all, and while it tries to give a realistic "feel", it can never be truly realistic. Terrain identification is one of those things that would save me a lot of ardurous work when "playing the game". This is a tradeoff, and I have stated my preference.