Video Cards w/TV Out (ATI Rage Fury Pro)

I am considering purchasing a ATI Rage Fury Pro 32 MB Graphics card to be able to play CM on a TV (TV out feature). Does anyone out there have this card and if so how is the TV Out feature? Clarity, resolution, etc?

Thanks!

Barbarossa

Guest Pham

I don't have the specific card in question, but I have an ATI All In Wonder card w/tv out. If you're attempting to use the TV out to have a bigger monitor via the TV, save the cash and get a card without a TV out. Clarity sucks, and much of the text is unreadable(or at least pretty damn hard to read) with normal fonts. The reason isn't the card, but the TV. The screen resolution of a non HDTV just sucks big time. It's fine for watching TV, but not for computer applications. It's a problem across the board, with all TV/out cards.

BTW, the WebTV ads that are sometimes on tv use special sites that have been designed with the TV resolution in mind. Normal internet sites, with normal computer standard text are hard to read. Plus, a TV can't beat a monitor for refresh rates by a long shot. Oh, and maybe most important, I know that the ATI I have will output to the TV, but not in 3D mode. Just normal mode, which defeats the whole point you're after. You'd have to check the specific card to find out if the TV out is for both modes or not. If not, CM will only be playable in software mode on the TV, which would suck.

The only good use for a TV out that I've found is to put multimedia onto tapes. If you download a simpsons episode(or music video, or whatever), and record it to a VCR, there's no loss of clarity, as the show was expected to be seen on TV anyways.

------------------

----

Offical, certified poster of the 50,000th message. You can all stop posting now. I won.

Barbarossa,

Just bought an ATI All in Wonder 128 32M agp at work for video capture stuff. It seems to run CM very well. The tuner works nice and video capture is pretty impressive. I haven't tried running Cm on a tv yet (no real desire to) but I'm sure it would work fine. As a bonus you could record some cm movies to VHS then capture them back as mpgs or Avis ect.. in realtime. Got this one at egghead.com for $199 with free shipping.

Thanks Pham/Rod,

I had a feeling that the TV Out was probably not too good, but just wanted to make sure. I had a TV Out adapter years ago and the colors were washed out and the picture grainy. I just hoped that by now the TV Out had been improved. Guess the Lo-Definition TV is the problem here. I'll have to wait for the Hi-Def TV's to pursue this idea further.

Barbarossa