Pirated Software

Damn

While I wait impatiently for the full version to arrive, 3 friends of mine are already enjoying the pirated version of Combat Mission.

I witnessed it with my own eyes. It's the full version with all scenarios. They even applied the official 1.01 patch. Damn.

There's no way I would download pirated software. One of the biggest reasons is that this is my fathers computer and if he found pirated software on it, I would lose my Internet Privilages. Oh well, I'll wait patiently. I assume that because my 3 friends found it on the net that many many more will download this.

It's a shame that the developers hard work is tainted by the availability of pirated software on the internet. Obviously it doesn't come with a manual, but it's pretty easy to figure out for someone who didn't know. Oh well, I'll continue to wait for my copy to arrive seeing as though it was charged to our credit card in mid June.

One thing you can do is to stop posting this information on the forum. Right now, the first thing a new user will see here are a couple of threads on how to get pirated copies of CM!

If you want to tell someone, tell BTS by e-mail.

------------------

"Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G4A:

One thing you can do is to stop posting this information on the forum. Right now, the first thing a new user will see here are a couple of threads on how to get pirated copies of CM!

If you want to tell someone, tell BTS by e-mail.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true.

Take for exemple sake my case.

I've bought the game.

I DO love it.

And I will most surely order additional copies for friends' birthday to have more PBEM going.

But SINCE I do paid for it and that the delivery isn't that speedy in our part of the world, I MIGHT ADSL it and delete it when the bonafide copy is there.

See?

What if I'm a non-buyer? I got warez, post and read thread to learn the game and Shazaam!

So, stop posting those posts and keep BTS informed directly.

PS: And NO URLs PLEASE!!

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 06-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rudee:

"I MIGHT ADSL it and delete it when the bonafide copy is there

Then you are becoming part of the problem not part of the solution! Think about it..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right.

I was illustrating the view new comers and would be pirates would most certainly take.

I didn't do it nor do I encourage it.

This is precisely why a/I'm waiting for the game to show up in Europe and b/do NOT encourage that kind of post...

Thanks for your concern.

biggrin.gif

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Guest Big Time Software

Rudee,

Maybe you can convince your 3 friends to do the honest thing and each purchase a legitimate copy of the game?

We do try to stamp out the pirate copies when we can, but we can't get to all of them fast enough... frown.gif

Charles

In terms of numbers, my 3 friends represent at the most one-tenth of one percent of the people who will pirate this game or any other game. As Monty Burns says "resistance is futile!"

In my humble opinion, there is a linear relationship between the complexity of a game/application and it's individual rate of piracy. i.e The more difficult the game/app is to learn, the more a user needs to rely on the manual. Obviously games such as complex flight simulators will have a lower rate of piracy than a first-person shooter like Quake. As the learning curve of a particlular game/app goes up, the piracy rate goes down due to the need for referencing a manual. Do developers need to increase the complexity of their games to avoid piracy? Not necessarily. You can make the manual so appealing that they will purchase the game anyway. People love fat, juicy, well written manuals. They also love goodies such as fold out color maps, posters, etc. In other words, you have to dangle the carrot in their faces and entice them.

Hi Rudee

Just a thought maybe if you let your firends know that BTS is a very small company and the are Soley relying on sales, they will dothe honorable thing and buy the game - You say theya ree only a fraction of the problem, but they are a part of the problem. In this case this is 150 bucks directly out of the pockets of Steve and Charles not some big Company. IF they like the game they might want to see a CM 2 and if they arent supporting BTS that may not happen

dont think those three sales cant make a difference - everythin gis word of mouth so all honorable conversions help smile.gif

Thanks

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rudee:

In my humble opinion, there is a linear relationship between the complexity of a game/application and it's individual rate of piracy. i.e The more difficult the game/app is to learn, the more a user needs to rely on the manual. Obviously games such as complex flight simulators will have a lower rate of piracy than a first-person shooter like Quake.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to disagree with this. From what I've seen, complex programs like 3D Studio MAX are just as easy to find for download as Quake3. And as for manuals, I've seen plenty of them available for download as well. Personally I don't think piracy is a good thing. I'm not going to complain that games are overpriced even though they cost more than I can afford. I think software piracy is going to increase as bandwidth does. Its easy to find full 1gb movies on the internet now. The quality does suck. Its a whole lot easier to pay a few bucks to rent a DVD (but then only if you have a DVD player which is a few hundred bucks.)

I believe that is probably currently the number one issue of online piracy. Which is easier for the user. For plenty the price is a competing factor. If you got a 56k connection like the majority of internet users, whats easier, paying $50 for a game, or going through the hassles of finding and trying to download a 600mb file. Of course then you can get it from a friend..and then you could get a cd-burner and make your own copies too..

Then I guess there are those internet newbies that don't know where to get warez. If you know anything worth knowing about the internet its simple to find warez.

I don't know how to stop piracy. From what I've observed, cutting down on illigal internet activity is going to mean a major cut in privacy and rights. To some this may not seem a major problem. It starts out small and when the problem is big enough for everyone to identify its to late. Different people will be effected, we all live in different countries. Mabey it really boils down to two things, freedom and respecting those freedoms. How we can get others to respect it..that requires a long answer, but I don't think its happening anytime soon.

Anyways I just downloaded the Combat Mission demo today. I know I'm a bit late. Its great. I'm addicted--which rarely happens to me with computer games. This game is going on my buy list. When will I buy it? I'm not really sure.

The problem is that people

1) Really don't understand the concept that just because something is in a non-physical form, doesn't mean its free.

2) Can't tell the difference between those people that chose to give their products away for free (like Linux, and demos of games), and those that haven't.

It'll take time. I've been working on my friends for many years now, and I think the best thing that works is a slow, dogged resistance against pirating, some friendly debates, and appeals to the better part of them. :)

Now, I could just be suceeding because I finished college, and as myself and my friends get older, and are more in charge of our own lives, our own income, and our own money, we realize that things aren't created from nothing, but I prefer to think that I'm making a difference.