Battles in Bavaria

I will be travelling to northern Bavaria in mid-December and may have time for some sight-seeing (this is mostly a "hangin' out with the family" thing, though), so I was wondering what there might be to see along the WWII battle lines. My information is that the 12th Armored division, along with Combat Command B of XXI Corps of the 7th Army was active in that area, and that Wurzburg was one of the places that the Germans (pointlessly, it seems) stopped to fight for a while. Any guides to more info about these units' activities in this area would also be nice. Finally, (and obviously) I really don't know ANYTHING about the German units that were in this area, so pointers there would be appreciated.

Rudenhausen, here I come!!

My Grandfather went through Bavaria before ending up in Austria during the war. He did not do much fighting, as he was in the Corps level signal battalion. I am blanking on which corps, but I will talk to him tonight to find out.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

My Grandfather went through Bavaria before ending up in Austria during the war. He did not do much fighting, as he was in the Corps level signal battalion. I am blanking on which corps, but I will talk to him tonight to find out.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! I truly appreciate your (and everybody elses) efforts.

Wilhammer:

Is that the Castle Itter in Austria? I'm not sure I'll be able to wander that far afield. I know it sounds stupid to go 8000 miles, but not another hundred, but this is really a family visit - I will be in the Wurzburg area (specifically, Rudenhausen - near Kitzingen). But I appreciate the info.