Normandy Anecdotes - post `em if yer got `em!

A very close friend of mine lost his father a few years back. A crushing moment for us all. More so because the guy was a vet from the 50th Tyne-Tees Division who fought in Normandy. I vividly remember him enthralling us with "war stories" one evening and thought that it would be good to share my particular favourite with people who would appreciate it.

After regaling us with horrific stories of friends being literally blown to pieces, limbs being severed and the kind of vivid description that truly makes one empathise with the terrible moments these guys had to endure, it was great to hear the following entertaining snippet:

From memory, I quote

"We were resting in the bocage after a hard day. The rest of my squad were lounging about, smoking cigarettes and taking a rest. Suddenly, a couple of Shermans come screaming down the road adjacent to us, going the wrong way - toward the rear. Hmmm. Trouble ahead. After a short while our officer makes an appearance...hmm..even more trouble. "Right chaps! We have a report of an enemy Tiger tank a mile or two down the road and HQ wants it taking out." That explains the Shermans. "The officer turns to me and says "I want your squad to take the PIAT and flank that German tank, work your way around it, suppress any accompanying infantry and destroy it"

So what happened? We all ask, enthralled by the story.

"I told him to **** off of course"

True story.

Tom Cosgrove RIP

My great-grandfather was in the German Army in the Normandy area. His unit was getting shelled and they decided to pull back. He was up in the loft of a barn and he knew hurt his leg jumping off. He knew he wouldn't be able to get out so he climbed back up again. Soon enough, a squad of British soldiers comes into the barn. My greatgrandfather pulls out a grenade and pulls off the pin, holding it in his hands. He was about to throw it, but then thought better of it because he heard more British soldiers outside. Well the squad in the barn sleeps there the whole night, and in the morning they pull out because of German tanks in the area. My great-grandfather was holding that grenade the whole night, and he couldnt let go or else it would go off. He said that moment when he saw the British leave was one of the greatest moments in his life when he could finally get rid of the blasted thing