Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Talk to your opponent during PBEM

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Guys,

I have been reading a lot of gripes about when TCP/IP is going to be released. Well as an interim solution i have been playing one of my pbem opponents online using Microsoft MSN service which now has a chat (Voice) facility. We have had great fun with transatlantic........er transsouthchinasea conversations whilst playing CM. We sometimes give each other commentaries whilst watching the movie which is VERY exciting as you hear his reaction to his brewed up sherman!! In real time. Screams of OOohhhh Nooooooo come over the headphones and you know your Pak 75 scored a hit! Yes!!

I know some of you like to watch by yourself but we find it quite stimulating and it helps cover the time spent waiting for your opponent to make his move. MSN voice seems quite compatible with CM and we experienced great clear conversations for free. I would recommend it over ICQ. My opponent is in the USA but we had crystal clear lines and no game crashes.

We have used Roger Wilco for other games but found MSN to be soooooo much better, RW has one way talk traffic only whereas MSN has full duplex voice channels making it more like a telephone. We had a good laugh taunting one another and discussing CM and tactics while we were sending the pbem files.

I would heartily recommend it to you all - best fun i have had for ages......has anyone else tried it or another voice program?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Just a minute, by MSN, do you mean Microsoft's Zone? I go there to play Flight Simulator 2000, and I use Roger Wilco for speech with air traffic control and other pilots. Are you saying that there is another way to talk to other players on the zone?

Henri

He's referring to the communication application found at www.msn.com

Go to the People & Chat link (or something like that) and you can download it from there. You need to set up an account but the app is free. It's somewhat similar to ICQ except it also allows you to talk computer to computer through your mic, call someone's phone from your computer, and page people.

Thats right Mr. T it is a free download as per your link, if you have a hotmail account you don't even have to register - otherwise open a hotmail account (Takes about 3 minutes) and all will be revealed.

I can tell you its a blast, especially if you have a headset with built in mic. I usually link up with my opponent at weekends as we have a 12 hour time difference. It has a added a whole new dimension to our pbem games.

We used to play Hidden & Dangerous with Roger Wilco but we always ran into problems eventually whereas MSN has been very steady, all you need is a full duplex soundcard for telephone quality sound.

Roger Wilco works like a 2 way radio so only one of you can talk at a time - MSN allows you to talk to each other just like a telephone.

Henri, i have not tried it on the zone but it may be worth it for you to try - although you may find it is not supported, so far i have only used it to chat to my relatives and for PBEM. For these purposes it works like a dream.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Come to think of it Henri the Zone is a Microsoft product, and so is MSN - i would say the chances are it is programed to work!

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918