TACOPSCAV as a training tool

paladin1128

To anyone, I am a Scout NCO, and my new Troop has a small problem. Including myself, there are 2 MOS qualified personnel in the unit, A Corporal, and A PFC. All the other members were Tankers up until about 2 months or so ago. I am hoping to use TACOPS CAV as a tool to at least help the senior leadership get used to the scout mentality rather than the tanker mentality. Can anyone give me an idea as to a list and order of scenarios that would meet the needs of a light cav troop, to convey the corret methodology and tempo of recon operations? Just something to get started with, before we go to AT and get our asses handed to us because everyone wants to run into combat rather than hide and sneak. thanks

I heartily recommend Task Force Fenwick and/or Task force Moody. The reason is that Fenwick requires flawless timing and orchestration while Moody requires the player to utilize scout groups to run far ahead of the main battalion to locate the enemy to the artillery. I hope this helps, but there is always the distinct possibilitty that it is wrong.

Another game that is sold through http://www.shrapnelgames.com is a Windows 95 version of the U.S. Army Janus program. This would also be good for training. TacOps is simply more versatile, I guess.

What you can do is use the Kincaid scenario.

Its a heli battle where the helicopters have to engage and destroy an Opfor mech regiment

What you can do is delete a part of the helicopterforce, for instance the sccout Kiowas and some apaches and add a ground reconunit with bradleys

This way you can go scout with the brads and kill with help from the apaches and the artillery.

Very difficult to keep the brads a live ,but fun

Thanks, Fenwick is a bit "Rambo", but the other two are excellent suggestions. I tried the desert bridge defense after substituting hmmwv's in various configs for the afv's, and got spanked, going to try it again though, maybe add some apache support, light cav isn't built to stand in defense against armor...

How about TF Kelly? Or did I say this. I also like Nankervis, although that /*is*/ kind of a "helicopter Rambo".

TF Pipes and/or TF Peterjohn are great desert scenarios where you simulate the Desert Storm operation. you have tanks, but you have to scout and use FOO teams to spot the enem before they disappear into the urban area. This is really cool because the OPFOR convoy is three-pronged and very strong even though they only use the T-70 and you get the M1A2 or the C2 Leopard. I hope this a good suggestion!

TF Hoeft fits your request to the letter. I think you will like it! The eight variants should provide a lot of food for thought and training in the use of mechanized infantry. It's one of those (exit at least 80% of your original force across the Eastern edge while destroying a certain percentage of theirs.

[ March 20, 2002, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: rich4421972 ]

PeterJohn is a piece of cake.

Last time I played it ,I only lost 1 tank but killed all red units

I tried to play the scenario with an airborne bn and Hmmv's than its a bit more difficult smile.gif

in fact I was blown to pieces with that force.

Kelley is more a fighting retreat against overwhelming odds,has little to do with scouting IMHO