For Your Gaming Pleasure...CM:The Mini-Campaigns

Well, it took me the better part of three weeks to design, script and test (mainly due to a lack of free time stemming from business concerns), but here it is fellow tacticians and WW2 history buffs. CM: Mini-Campaign #1.

What I’ve created is something of a hybrid. It expands on the single scenario concept, but is not limited to the confines of an “operation” map. In essence, it’s a custom series of autonomous scenarios that combine to create a sequential mini-campaign.

Although not exactly dynamic in nature, I’ve worked around this inherent shortcoming by giving the player command of one of three different units within a specific battalion every three-game cycle. The whole idea of this format is to create the impression of a contiguous operation without the concerns of unit attrition that can detract from campaign continuity.

Although loosely based on the U.S. 79th Division’s drive from Carentan to Cherbourg during late June 1944, this mini-campaign is totally hypothetical. Those players whom prefer company-level battles, with primary emphasis on infantry tactics, may find this particular collection to their liking.

You can obtain the mini-campaign at the Scenario Depot within Madmatt’s excellent CMHQ web site. Unfortunately, Madmatt doesn’t have a specific category available to accommodate this multi-scenario concoction. Therefore, you can download the entire collection by accessing the single scenario zip file entitled, “Any Port After A Storm.”

IMPORTANT: Whether engaging in single or multi-player action, please be sure to examine the READ ME file before commencing with game play. It’s very important that you observe one simple setup instruction. Otherwise, the game play experience will not be as challenging as it is designed to be.

I hope that you enjoy this little project. If not, that’s OK too. Even though it was created for other people’s amusement, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

My thanks goes out to BTS for not only creating what is perhaps the finest PC strategy program to-date, but also for covering such an important era in world history. Lest we forget the sacrifices made by those who participated in mankind’s worst conflagration or a generation of Americans the likes of which may never grace our great nation again.

Enjoy!

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Can't wait! I'll be sure to post a "grade" for it after I play it. Hope to see more of these. I kind of miss that uber-hero from that one battle. He and his comrades with panzerfausts would do great on this map too. CM still setting a new standard for future wargames.

Guest Turret

The idea of linked scenarios is great.

I am running what amounts to a variation on the mini-campaign within the context of an organized tournament. I have 12 players each invited to play a German Company leader. Each week I design a scenario for them to play against the AI. After I get the results back I randomly pick one player to to be the historical "man on the scene" and that player's results are what I take in to consideration to advance the campaign to the next scenario. Basically, I'm thinking any one of a variety of leadership quality and skill could be driving the action. The better the players do, the better the odds are that the campaign advances. The tournaments are about 4 scenarios long but can be longer depending on results. This round is a fictional German attempt at breaking through to an American Fuel Depot. In scenario one the players had to take a very well defended town called St Devote. 4 out the 12 failed, but the "man on the scene" (Lorak) did pull out a victory and the German advance continued. Next was defence of a hill they planned to use to recon the roads ahead. I gave them 4 Tigers as support to the player’s company. For the AI, I devised a well disguised pincer-like flank attack on the hill. The Tigers were awesome but usually lost few in the confusion (5 Shermans and 5 Stuarts). The few that remained typically cleaned up the mess. A victorious player (Lorak again!) won the draw and the German advance continues with excellent recon. Because of the recon edge they had won the next scenario was an ambush of hastily dispatched allied response to the loss of the hill and the town. In retrospect, this was an easy scenario for the players, but they never know what can hit them. Some played it conservatively in fear of something nasty happening to them (remembering the cruel artillery barage of St. Devote) . Others were aggressive and merciless. One player caused 157 casualies while suffering just 9 himself.

I have a blast reading the AARs. Over the weekend I design the next round. So far the players are making good progress toward the fuel depot and this weekend I will design the final round of the campaign tournament. I can't wait.

As a scenario designer I can’t imagine a better way to get feedback. I’ve started to get a sense of how the players think and I can give them custom challenges based on how they play. What results from all the playing is what I feel is a very historically accurate portrayal of a WW2 operation. The trials and tribulations are all there and make a difference. The players, who are commrades in arms, emotionally feel social pressure to succeed and would feel bad were they to be selected the week they lose. Others are counting on them as in realilty. After the campaign is all over there will be memories of the great events of the operation. A tank that had 5 kills. A leader that rallied a broken squad and led them into storming a tank.

The best thing is this is easy. I take about 4 hours to do program the scenario. During my commute or holding my 2 month old son in the middle of the night I think about how the results are affecting the campaign and what would likely come next in the action. Each player takes about an hour to play the game. A few e-mails and we are onto the next phase.

[This message has been edited by Turret (edited 08-17-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Good work, Scepter and Turret!

It's interesting to see the creative responses to this game. BTS hasn't just given us a game, they've given us a gaming tool. Bravo!

Michael

Originally posted by Turret:

The idea of linked scenarios is great.

"I am running what amounts to a variation on the mini-campaign within the context of an organized tournament. I have 12 players each invited to play a German Company leader. Each week I design a scenario for them to play against the AI..."

I just want to say that this sounds very cool. Is there a site or similar where I can read anything about your campaign ?

//Niko

------------------

"The soldier's rule of thumb expected four shermans to be knocked out for every Tiger or Panther."

- From Gamesmanual to "1944 Across the Rhine"

I uploaded the files to CMHQ Scenario Depot last evening. I'm not exactly sure what the site's lag time is for perusing and posting individual scenarios. For all I know, the moderator(s) might actually even playtest each submission before making it available to the world-wide CM public. If this is the case, it may be a couple days before the "Any Port After A Storm" mini-campaign hits the shelves, so to speak. These guys at CMHQ seem to be pretty darn conscientious. So, let's give them a little time to do their thing.

I appreciate your interest and hope you'll get some enjoyment out of this offering. That is, if you're not breaking into a sweat and cursing my immortal soul in the process!

[This message has been edited by Scepter (edited 08-17-2000).]

Septer, I would like to congratulate you.

I already have written about the possibility of linked scenarios (campaigns) in this forum, but you are showing the path now.

I hope BTS and the scenarios designers get it

Good Job!