Entire "Handbook on German Military Forces" Can Be Viewed Here.

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/DL/AtoZ.htm

It's the page of the MHI Digital Library with a ton of Military Information. This page has been listed on the Board before, but, this is the 1st. time I've seen the "Handbook on German Military Forces" there.

It's in 3 sections:

Chapters 1-3(40MB), 4-7(40.5MB), & 8-10(36MB).

All of the files are in .pdf format.

Also, the 489 Page "Small Wars Handbook" looks like it has lots of info in it that I suppose could be useful as tactics info.

Guest ACTOR

Thanks for letting us know. I must have missed the earlier posts. It kinda pisses me off that I spent money on the book when I can view it on-line mad.gif but it has been a great reference book.

Only the url for the site was posted. At the time, the Handbook on German Military Forces was not on that site.

The last time I was on that site was, I think, a couple of months ago, & at that time those Handbook files weren't there. I think they might have been put up only recently.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alex127:

Only the url for the site was posted. At the time, the Handbook on German Military Forces was not on that site.

The last time I was on that site was, I think, a couple of months ago, & at that time those Handbook files weren't there. I think they might have been put up only recently.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I downloaded from this site one year ago... But it was then one unique file.

You should take a look to the Korean war section. There are some info to small level tactics during a war much similar to WW2

And if someone looks for real infos about small tactics in WW2 take a look at books sold by G Nafziger:

LESSONS LEARNED BY THE AMERICAN ARMY DURING THE TUNISIAN CAMPAIGN:

Softbound reprint of 1943 original government publication. Single volume for $10.00 plus $2.50 S&H.

This work explores the problems encountered by the American Army during the Tunisian campaign, cites specific examples and quotes individuals involved. Very inciteful into the tactical problems that the American army had and how it went about correcting them.

EMPLOYMENT OF TANKS WITH INFANTRY

: Softbound, A reprint of the 1944 original government publication. One volume for $19.95.

This is a reprint of the 1944 tactical doctrine publication issued by the US Army to address how it wanted its tanks and infantry to operate together in the field. It not only covers how combat was to be handled in western Europe, but also provides details on tank-infantry operations in jungle warfare. In addition to the basic publication, the supplement is bound into this single volume. That provides case studies of how various actions were to be handled, including attacks on villages, bridgeheads, jungle operations, attacks on pill boxes, etc.

SOVIET ARMORED TACTICS IN WORLD WAR WWII, THE TACTICS OF THE ARMORED UNITS OF THE RED ARMY FROM INDIVIDUAL VEHICLES TO BATTALIONS ACCORDING TO THE COMBAT REGULATIONS OF FEBRUARY 1944

, by Charles C. Sharp., Softbound, $19.95 per volume, plus S&H.

If you liked his work on German Panzer Tactics, you'll love this. Filled with data, diagrams, and wonderful stuff for those of you who are interested in how the Soviets fought off the German panzers.

SOVIET INFANTRY TACTICS IN WORLD WAR II

, By Charles C. Sharp, Softbound, $19.95 + $2.50 S&H

Developed using Soviet tactical regulations, this 122 page work examines the tactical employment of the Soviet rifle squad, platoon and company, plus the submachine gun squad, machine gun sections, anti-tank rifle squad, and infantry guns. It contains appendices discussing infantry weapons, signals, target maps, a sample reconnaissance diary, anti-tank defenses, sapper work, and tactical symbols. Range and other details are provided for infantry weapons and there are precise TO&Es for infantry squads, platoons, and companies.

GERMAN PANZER TACTICS IN WORLD WAR II, Combat Tactics of German Armored Units from Section to Regiment

by Charles C. Sharp, Softbound, $19.95 + $2.50 S&H,

This work contains 101 pages chocked full of information. It provides detail son the fundamentals of German tactical doctrine, training, detailed organizations of panzer units for each campaign, and then begins a series of "tactical lessons" drawn from various campaigns, beginning with Poland and examining France, Africa, the Russian front in 1941, the operations during Kursk and facing the British and Americans in 1944. There are numerous illustrations of tactical panzer formations and discussion on ho they were used.

GERMAN SQUAD TACTICS IN WWII

, by Matthew Gajkowski. $19.95 plus $2.50 S&H. 3Â¥3 Å 

The first portion of this unusual work is a detailed review of German squad level infantry tactics using German regulations and American studies. It is highly illustrated,and provides tactical exercises to illustrate points. The second portion is a translation of the German Panzer Grenadier tactics and reviews both mounted and dismounted tactics. Diagrams show the proper deployment both of dismounted infantry and half tracks in combat. The last portion of the panzer grenadier section even provides illustrations and explanations of hand signals used for communicating between half tracks. The final portion of this work is a series of highly detailed TO&E listings of various German infantry companies from 1943 through 1945, including panzer grenadier companies, grenadier companies, bicycle companies and skijager companies.

http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/index.html

[This message has been edited by Leclerc (edited 07-21-2000).]

It´s a nice book,but apparently some of the OB´s and TOE´s are not correct,not strange really since it was published in -45.

Does any one know where to find or buy some of the field manuals mentioned in Doubler´s "Closing with the enemy".

G-D

Guest Pillar

ARGH!!!! >:|

Yet another &$%*@ wonderful resource on that $*($# army.mil page that my $*#$ internet connection will never allow me to connect to.

This is really REALLY *REALLY* bumming me out.

Why is that page, and ONLY that page, the one that I can't access on the web? THE ONLY one I can't access on the whole &$*# web!

Ahem... Sorry, smile.gif You'd know how I felt if everytime YOU tried to connect to the worlds most resourceful website you got a "Page not Found" message.

Guest Pillar

No, anything hosted by army.mil I can't access, ever.

I don't know why. My ISP doesn't know why. I've tried everything, and I've talked to professionals.

Nobody knows why I can't ever access army.mil

The navy and airforce pages work fine. I can load army.mil from work. But from home, the page can't be loaded.

It's the worlds greatest mystery, and I'm it's victim. smile.gif

Thanks anyway.

Guest Pillar

BTW,

Here is what my browser tells me after about a minute, every time I try to load anything army.mil:

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.

If you would like Windows to try and discover them,

click Detect Network Settings

Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.

If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

Pillar, I can help you troubleshoot this if you like. Here are two things you'll want to do to gather some basic information:

I don't know what platform you are on, but if you can run and capture the results from a ping and a tracert on carlisle-www.army.mil ,it would provide a starting point for finding the source of your problem.

My email is bilekbp@hotmail.com if you want to discuss this further, unless you want to spam the board here with troubleshooting wink.gif

Good luck!

-Scorp