Command radius suggestion

kipanderson

I see what you are saying. You feel that more 'rules' would give more weight to HQ's and thus would take away from the freedom you have with squad tactics which you feel the game is more about. Logical.

At first, I liked the idea of a radius, but after reading more of the posts, although i still like it... it's making the game not a game.

I guess this would fall into the "realism" debate. The point is, this can never be "real" and it is a game. We, the player, have way too much control and knowledge to begin with, as we can move each and every peice, can see each and every little peice of terrain, etc... something a real commander would not have access to.

It's a game, just like chess.

My 0.02 zlotey, but I'm more in favor of allowing us to micro-manage our troops as we do now, otherwise, it's not a strategy game anymore, and I may as well find a war, and do the real thing (not a good idea). Thoughts?

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

At first, I liked the idea of a radius, but after reading more of the posts, although i still like it... it's making the game not a game.

I guess this would fall into the "realism" debate. The point is, this can never be "real" and it is a game. We, the player, have way too much control and knowledge to begin with, as we can move each and every peice, can see each and every little peice of terrain, etc... something a real commander would not have access to.

It's a game, just like chess.

My 0.02 zlotey, but I'm more in favor of allowing us to micro-manage our troops as we do now, otherwise, it's not a strategy game anymore, and I may as well find a war, and do the real thing (not a good idea). Thoughts?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't like the idea for exactly the reason that Dr. Brian points out. It makes the game less of a game.

Also why make the command radius concept so complicated. The command radius now depends on LOS and the ability of the commander i.e. bonuses and experience level. Letting it depend on the various levels of troop experience and troop status makes the whole thing unnecesarily complicated.

I think the idea for not being able to ID troops who are fighting units out of command radius is a good one. It is simple (out of command radius can't give intel) and realistically increases the fog of war. To do this though I think that BTS will first need to make a relative spotting engine to replace the absolute spotting that CM has now. From my reading of their previous posts on this subject, it is unclear if relative spotting will make it into CM2. BTS seems to like the idea, but it may be difficult to implement in a reasonable way.

Theron