What makes Arty accurate?

There have been a number of questions on this board lately about the accuracy/inaccuarcy or overaccuarcy of artillery fire as portrayed in CM.

The following list shows first, the requirement, who or which agency is responsible for that requirement, and lastly whether or not CM assumes the requirement to have been addressed before game time.

REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCURATE PREDICTED FIRES

1. ACCURATE TARGET LOCATION - FO - NOT ASSUMED

2. ACCURATE BATTERY LOCATION - Battery Exectutive Officer (XO) - Assumed

3. ACCURATE AMMO & WEAPON INFO - Battery XO & Fire Direction Officer (FDO) - Assumed

4. ACCURATE METEOROLOGICAL INFO - FDO/MET or Operations Officer - Assumed

5. ACCURATE COMPUTATIONAL PROCEDURES - FDO - Assumed.

In other words, by the time your Arty Spotter in CM is calling for and adjusting rounds the four other requirements are already assumed to have been met by the firing unit. The only variable left to overcome is the skill of the Arty Spotter and whether or not he has a clear LOS to the target...and of course whether or not he survives to continue to put steel on target.

Hope that gives all an idea of what goes into arillery accuracy and how it is modeled in CM.

My assumptions that four of the five requirements are assumed for game play purposes are derived from my own game experience and were not given to me by Steve or Charles.

Out here....