Armour tactics

Could someone PLEASE give me some tips on armour to armour fighting?! How do the americans make up for the massive quality gap? I invariably lose 3-4 tanks for every german I kill. And recon, forget it. The way I lose them, jeeps and light tanks might as well come in 6-packs. Is there a CM site with armour tips?

AAAAAAAAUUGH!!! Lost another one.

------------------

"Well then private, it must be sh*t. Good thing we didn't step in it."

Guest Mirage2k

Shermans generally have faster turrets than their German counterparts. Often you can use this advantage to successfully flank your enemy's exposed sides and rear, where that thick German armor isn't so thick anymore.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Guest Germanboy

Sounds reasonable to me - the Commonwealth and the US lost about 3-5 of theirs for every German tank, IIRC.

------------------

Andreas

Flank, flank, flank- use every bit of terrain you can, and try to approach the enemy from at least two different directions: while trying to engage/protect itself against one direction, it's flank will be exposed in the other. Be patient- withold your armour until your infantry element has had a chance to scope things out on foot. A rule of thumb I use is 1/3 of the time can be safely spent feeling things out (if game is 15 turns, allow at least 5 turns for recce). In a high threat environment, like a village or town, the trick is to keep in some contact with your infantry, but let them move far enough ahead to clear out AT weapons, snipers, etc.

Position some element to overwatch another while it moves up- if there is high ground, grab it and use it. Create your own "terrain" with smoke if need be.

In truth, there weren't a whole lot of pure tank-on-tank battles in Northwest Europe- the terrain was against it- your best defence against enemy tanks is your own infantry.