It's been a while!

Missionman

Greetings people,

As a new member of Battlefront.com and an old player of Tacops, i'd like to know what are the major differences between the first Tacops version for Mac and Tacops version 3 for PC? Are there huge changes? Will i have to unlearn and re-learn everything?

Also, a big dissapointement of mine back then was the lack of special force units, paras, amphibs etc. I remember the recon units as wel as the snipers but where are the others?

Tacops is such a fabulous game.

Looking forward to play version 3 and soon to come version 4.

By the way, how can players contribute to the game advancement? Please let me know.

Cordially,

Missionman

>Will i have to unlearn and re-learn everything?

No. I work very hard to try to keep new features and internal changes from radically changing the look and feel of TacOps.

There were a lot of changes between v1 (Arsenal) and v2 (Avalon Hill) but it has been so long that I don't have that list easily at hand. I do have a summary of the differences between v2 (Avalon Hill) and v3 (Battlefront.com).

Below are the most significant differences between TacOps v2.x and TacOps v3.x.

In TacOps v3...

A second type of map was added named the 'Type2 map' to allow users to create their own maps. Free Mac and Windows Type2 map making utilities can be downloaded from www.battlefront.com.

Added more US units and a lot more Canadian units – now have 283 unit types. Tweaked the Australian and New Zealand units.

Tweaked unit and weapon characteristics.

Added a 100 megabyte reference library consisting of 20 U.S. Army field manuals in Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF format. This is a tactics oriented subset pulled from the larger (167 manuals) Military Reference Library CDROM currently sold by www.battlefront.com.

Enhanced amphibious capabilities. Added four sizes of amphibious landing craft and some extra maps with coastlines. Added the future USMC Advanced Amphibious Assault Vehicle and the Osprey Tilt Rotor aircraft.

Long filenames were added to the Windows version. Ported code to W95/98/NT4 32 bit base. Dropped Windows 3.x compatibility.

Now have 20 extra maps for custom scenarios including a low fidelity interpretation of NTC Ft. Irwin, an area near Ft Knox, an area in Korea, an area in Germany, and some Canadian training areas.

Addition of more CPX (Command Post Exercise) umpire support features and umpire tools including printed reports.

Addition of a complete current and near future ORBAT for Canadian Forces as provided by the Canadian Army.

About 60 of the US scenarios were duplicated and converted so that they start up with Canadian order of battle instead of US.

Optional French game interface and French documentation.

Fabulous!

TacOps was already a great simulation when i started playing (probably around 1994-95), now i can only hope that i get my v.3 copy before the X-Mas holidays!

Furthermore, I understand that v.4 is coming out within 6 months? Is this an accurate estimate and what will be the new aspects to be expected in v.4?

Can members contribute to the game in anyway shape or form?

Thank you,

Missionman

>.. v.4 is coming out within 6 months? Is this

>an accurate estimate

TacOpsCav v4 will be done by the end of this month but you will have to join the Army in order to play it smile.gif . I don't know how long it will take me to turn that into TacOps v4. I may take a month off for R&R before starting.

>and what will be the new aspects to be expected in v.4?

There are a couple of threads from several months ago that talk about v4. Set your preferences to go back six months to a year.

>Can members contribute to the game in

>anyway shape or form?

I am always glad to hear suggestions.

Oh what the hell ...

v4 will add, among other things ...

Multiplayer Teams mode of play via Internet and or Local Area Network using TCP/IP. If all are connected via a Local Area Network then 20 to 30 players can participate in the same battle. This mode will be used in various U.S. Army schools and is the main focus of my current contract with the U.S. Army. The number of players drops to around ten if all are connected via the Internet.

Eight force/marker colors - Blue, Red, Green, Orange, Gold, Yellow, Gray, and Ivory. Each force color can be designated as hostile or friendly to any combination of the other colors. The additional force colors were introduced for the U.S. Army so that they could game situations where there are multiple factions and entities of varying hostility swirling around the primary actors.

Additional markers and unit types to represent civilians on the battlefield, militia, paramilitary forces, suicide bombers, car bombs, etc.

Various new engineering functions such as adding/removing obstacles, bridges, etc.

A somewhat more modern/colorful user interface.

About 200 new unit types.

Optional friendly forces fog of war in Mutiplayer Teams mode.

Almost every support window/dialog in the game has been recoded to allow the user to choose for it to appear on a second monitor rather than on the primary map screen. Most such windows now remember where they were last positioned by the user so once you get things the way you want them then they will stay that way from game to game.

Clicking the right mouse button on a unit marker in the Map window now opens a pop up menu containing the following items: Info, Photo, Unload, Load, Split, Join, Copy Orders, Paste Orders, Get Orders, Add Orders, Copy SOP, Paste SOP, and Set PIN. Saves many trips to the unit orders window.

The network chat feature is evloving into a window that can always be in the background without interfering with other game activities. The biggest remaining problme with it is that it presently gets in the way of the map view unless the user has a very large monitor or better yet a second monitor.

There is a remote possibility that a Type3 map may emerge with a variable map scale. For example, it may become possible to build a map that has a scale other than a pixel representing ten meters - a pixel might become five meters or 20, 50, or 100 meters. If a pixel represented 100 meters then a TacOps map could represent up to 310 kilmeters. This is actually in the code now but it doesn't work adequately with a lot of the movement and combat logic.

New File menu items: Export Order of Battle and Import Order of Battle. Intended to (a) allow a scenario designer to transfer order of battle info from one scenario (saved game file) and or map to another scenario and or map (B) to provide a work around for those occasions when an incremental change to the game engine makes it impossible to load saved game files from earlier versions of the game engine.

Added the capability to change additional characteristics of "off map" artillery. The following responsiveness characteristics for each "off map" artillery unit in play can be changed by selecting the "Options/Change Artillery Support" menu item:

Minimum seconds until first impact.

Maximum seconds until first impact.

Minimum seconds between adjustment rounds.

Maximum seconds between adjustment rounds.

Minimum seconds between salvos.

Maximum seconds between salvos.

Minimum seconds to shift fire.

Maximum seconds to shift fire.

And other things ...

The following new unit types have been added to the TacOpsCav v4 data base at the request of the Army.

* Units marked with an asterisk do not yet have any game relevant special capabilities. For example the M548 Volcano Mine Dispenser Vehicle is now in the database but it does not yet actually lay mines. Over time I hope to code some of these to do something useful automatically rather than depending on a game umpire to take care of them.

New Civilian and Paramilitary Units:

Civilian (CV) markers are unarmed unless otherwise noted.

CV Civil Ambulance

CV Bomb Portable

CV Bomb Transportable

CV Civil Car

CV Civil Firetruck

CV Civil Helicopter

CV Civil Truck Large

CV Civil Truck Medium

CV Civil Truck Small

CV Civil Truck w Hvy MG

CV Civil Truck w Lt MG

[x1 below indicates that a marker can represent 1 to 15 persons]

CV Civil x1

CV Civil x1 (w concealed pistol)

CV Civil x1 Dignitary

CV Civil x1 Fireman

CV Civil x1 Government

CV Civil x1 Media

CV Civil x1 Medical

CV Civil x1 NGO (Non Government Organization)

CV Civil x1 Police Unarmed

CV Civil x1 Police w Pistol

CV Civil x1 Police w Rifle

CV Civil x1 PVO (Private Voluntary Organization)

CV Civil x1 Rescue

CV Civil x1 w MG

CV Civil x1 w Rifle

CV Civil x1 w RPG

[x5 below indicates that a marker can represent 5 to 75 persons]

CV Civil x5

CV Civil x5 (w concealed pistol)

CV Civil x5 Dignitary

CV Civil x5 Fireman

CV Civil x5 Government

CV Civil x5 Media

CV Civil x5 Medical

CV Civil x5 NGO

CV Civil x5 Police Unarmed

CV Civil x5 Police w Pistol

CV Civil x5 Police w Rifle

CV Civil x5 PVO

CV Civil x5 Rescue

CV Civil x5 w Mixed Wpns

CV Civil x5 w Rifle

[x10 below indicates that a marker can represent 10 to 150 persons]

CV Civil x10

CV Civil x10 (w concealed pistol)

CV Civil x10 Dignitary

CV Civil x10 Fireman

CV Civil x10 Government

CV Civil x10 Media

CV Civil x10 Medical

CV Civil x10 NGO

CV Civil x10 Police Unarmed

CV Civil x10 Police w Pistol

CV Civil x10 Police w Rifle

CV Civil x10 PVO

CV Civil x10 Rescue

CV Civil x10 w Mixed Wpns

CV Civil x10 w Rifle

New OPFOR Units:

OP 122mm Hwtzer Towed D30

OP 152mm Hwtzer Towed 2A65

OP 152mm Hwtzer Towed D20

OP 152mm SP Hwtzr 2S5

OP 300mm MRL (multiple rocket launcher)

OP 2S9 120mm SP Mortar

OP 9P140 220mm MRL (multiple rocket launcher)

OP 9P149 ATGMLV

OP 9P157 ATGMLV

* OP ARK1M Artillery Locating Radar

OP AT13 MetisM ATGM Team

OP AT14 Kornet ATGM Team

OP AT5 Spandrel ATGM Team

OP BMD2 IFV

OP BMD3 IFV

OP BMP1P IFV

OP BRM1K ACRV Recon

OP BRM3K CRV Recon

OP BTR80 FAC

OP BTRD APC (BMD M1979)

OP BTRT APC

* OP GMZ3 Minelaying Vehicle

* OP IMR2M Obstacle Clearing Vehicle

OP KA50A HokumA Helo Air Atk

OP KA50A HokumA Helo AT

OP KA50A HokumA Helo Recon

OP KA52 HokumB Helo Air Atk

OP KA52 HokumB Helo AT

OP KA52 HokumB Helo Recon

OP M84 Tank (Yug)

OP Mi24D Hind Helo

OP Mi24F Hind Helo

OP Mi28N Havoc Helo Air Atk

OP Mi28N Havoc Helo Recon

OP Mi2T Hoplite Helo Transport

OP Mi2URN Hoplite Helo Recon

OP Mi2URP Hoplite Helo AT

OP Mi2US Hoplite Helo Gun

OP Mi8/17 HIP Helo Gunship

* OP MTK2 Mineclearing Vehicle

OP PRP3/4M Arty Recon Vehicle

OP S60 57mm AAA

OP SA6 SAM

OP SA8B SAM

OP SA9 SAM

OP SA10 SAM

OP SA11 SAM

OP SA13 SAM

OP SA14 SAM Team

OP SA15 SAM

OP SA18 SAM Team

OP SA341H Gazelle Helo Recon

* OP SNAR10 Surveillance Radar

OP T55AMV +ERA Tank

OP T62MV +ERA Tank

OP T64BV Tank

OP T72BM/S Tank

OP T80B Tank

OP T80UM1 Tank

OP T84 Tank (Ukraine)

OP T90S Tank

OP Truck 10mt Cargo

OP Truck 15mt Cargo

OP Truck 2.5 ton Cargo

OP Truck 21mt Tank Transporter

OP Truck 4mt Van

OP Truck 6mt Cargo

OP Type 59 II Tank

OP Type 85 IIM Tank

OP Type 98 Tank

OP Type83 122mm SP Hwtzr

* OP UMZ Scatterable Minelayer

OP VTT323 120mm Mortar Carrier

OP VTT323 82mm Mortar Carrier

OP YW531A APC

OP YW534 AT

New US Units:

US AH64 Helo (General Support Role)

US AH64 Helo Longbow (Close Support Role)

US AH64 Helo Longbow (Multi Role)

* US AN/MPQ64 Sentinel Ops Group

* US AN/TPQ36 Firefinder Ops Group

* US AN/TPQ37 Firefinder Ops Group

* US AN/TPQ47 Firefinder Ops Group

* US HMMWV + MICLIC Trailer

US HMMWV HUMRAAM ADA

* US HMMWV Striker COLT

* US M1 Heavy Assault Bridge

* US M1 Obstacle Breaching Vehicle

US M2 AMEV Bradley Ambulance

US M2 AMTV Bradley Medical

US M270 227mm MLRS

* US M2A2 Bradley ENG

US M2A2 Bradley IFV

* US M2A3 Bradley ENG

US M2A3 Bradley IFV

US M3A3 Bradley CFV

* US M548 Volcano Mine Dispenser

* US M58 Smoke Generator

* US M60 AVLB (bridging vehcile)

* US M60 AVLM (mine clearing vehicle)

US M7 Bradley FIST

* US M9 Armored Combat Earthmover

US MH47 Helo

US MH53 Pave Low III Helo

US Truck Forward Repair System

US Truck M1074/1075 PLS

US Truck M1078 2.5t Cargo

US Truck M1079 2.5t Van

US Truck M1081 2.5t Cargo LVAD

US Truck M1083 5t Cargo

US Truck M1084 5t Cargo MHE

US Truck M1085 5t Cargo Long

US Truck M1086 5t Cargo Long MHE

US Truck M1088 5t + M871 Trailer

US Truck M1089 5t Wrecker

US Truck M1090 5t Dump

US Truck M1093 5t Cargo LVAD

US Truck M1094 5t Dump LVAD

US Truck M923 5t Cargo

US Truck M939 5t Cargo

* US UH60 Volcano Mine Dispenser

US XHIMARS (Wheeled Multiple Rocket Launcher System)

US XM2001 Crusader 155mm SP Hwtzr

* US XM2002 Crusader Resupply Vehicle

US XM777 155mm Hwtzr

US XMAV Ambulance

US XMAV ATGM

US XMAV C2/TOC

* US XMAV Engineer

US XMAV ICV AGL (armed with grenade launcher)

US XMAV ICV HMG (armed with heavy machine gun)

US XMAV MGS (Mobile Gun System)

US XMAV Mortar

US XMAV MRV

* US XMAV NBC Recce

US XMAV Recce AGL (armed with grenade launcher)

US XMAV Recce HMG (armed with heavy machine gun)

US XMAV SP Howitzer

US XMAV STRIKER/FSV

Goodday Major,

The first thing coming to mind to an ex-photographer was to look around for images that you may be unable to find. Foreign weapons and vehicules or any other images that you've had a hard time finding. Just provide me with a list of those you are looking for, this way me and interested members can contribute some to the game.

I have started to use the Maptool but i wanted to know if there was such a thing as a unit tool? This way player could create foreign units such as Isreali Merkaba Tanks, French Leclerc or a whole German Armored division! Are there any statistics available about Chinese military equipment? It could be interesting to had Chinese units since they are different from the eastern block type equipment, just sharing ideas.

These days it might be also realistic to had Terror Cells such as AL Quaeda, Al Jihad, AL Fatah, Islamic Jihad or even splinter groups like Tupac Amaru in Peru or Japanese Red Army in well, Japan.

My goal is to share ideas with all and maybe even spark new developments for the versions to come.

I see no problems, only solutions, here goes:

Let's pretend i had an idea of the image you needed and came up with a source to find it? You could then decide if copyright laws and publishing rights fit you fancy and budget. Of course, the goal here is to get the best pictures for the cheapest price.

Secondly, i have a limited number of images of:

-American combat airplanes taken in flight or on the ground during airshows

-Canadian Forces patroling the poorest streets of Port au Prince, Haiti.

-Canadian Forces patroling (onboard Bison APCs)in north-western Bosnia.

-British Armored Forces (MBT) at White Fang heckpoint in Bosnia

This is from the top of my head, i'll do a bit more research if you come up with specific topics you need.

I want to be absolutely clear that my offer is totally gratuitous, there are no strings attached, i simply do it because you've got a real great game and want to do my part to make it even better (if at all possible!). This said you could use my images freely as long as a proper credit is present. It's that simple!

It can't be any cheaper or easier than that, the ball is in your camp Major.

I'm drooling already!

No 82mm automatic mortar for the opfor but I guess I'll live and hold out hopes for the future. I would like to know if you are adding any of the "new" weapons used in Chechnya (sp?). The ones I am refering to are the flame weapons (rpg type rocket launcher and a MRL type of system as well I think).

Happy holidays and enjoy your much needed/deserved rest.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: dhuffjr ]</p>

If you want a unit or weapon system added that you did not see on the list ...

Send me an email containing the official name of the weapon/unit and as much as you know of its characteristics - range, effectiveness, weight, etc. In other words the info that you see when you look at the TacOps unit and weapon info windows via the "Reports/Unit Data Base" and "Reports/Weapon Data Base" menu items.

The less that I have to look up, the better the chance that I can slip it in.

The weapons I believe dhuffjr was talking about are:

RPO-A Fuel Air Explosive rocket launcher which is described in the OPFOR equipment guide

and

TOS-1 Buratino (Pinocchio) "which is a 30-barrel 220mm rocket launcher on a T-72 chassis. With a range of 400-3500 meters, it can create a devastated zone of 200x400 meters." according to StrategyPage.com. The Buratino's warheads are thermobaric, and the vehicle is supposed to accompany tanks into combat.

I don't know much more than this.

Both look very nasty. I'd love to be an OPFOR commander with a few Buratinos under my command. smile.gif

Carter you nailed it! I'm sometimes slightly asleep and out of it when I'm surfing in the hense my rambling earlier. The 82mm automatic mortar I saw in a book I have that I can't seem to locate :D

I'll have to email the major with that info when I manage to get my hands on it.

Alas another comes along and saves the day. I seemed to have placed the book in which I read about it in a box and now I can't remember which box! :rolleyes: The Russian name though strikes a familiar cord, I think it is what it is refered to as in Red Lightning, my second favorite game after Tacops of course! :D

Another thing on my wish list is a representation of a 70mm ground rocket system. I had read an article in the Marine Corps Gazette quite some time ago lamenting the current 155mm piece and singing the praises of getting rid of it entirely or at least supplementing it. The authors big gripe was smoke support and the burden it would place on arty units to have the amount of smoke rounds on hand that Inf. commanders would like. The rocket system would obviously not have the range of 155mm howitzers but could get much closer and besides for smoke support they don't have to fire much beyond the FEB. I have seen a picture of a proposed system with 6 19round pods so one unit could lay down a dense smoke screen or a heck of alot of firepower at one time.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: dhuffjr ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dhuffjr:

Another thing on my wish list is a representation of a 70mm ground rocket system. I had read an article in the Marine Corps Gazette quite some time ago lamenting the current 155mm piece and singing the praises of getting rid of it entirely or at least supplementing it. The authors big gripe was smoke support and the burden it would place on arty units to have the amount of smoke rounds on hand that Inf. commanders would like. The rocket system would obviously not have the range of 155mm howitzers but could get much closer and besides for smoke support they don't have to fire much beyond the FEB. I have seen a picture of a proposed system with 6 19round pods so one unit could lay down a dense smoke screen or a heck of alot of firepower at one time.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: dhuffjr ]<hr></blockquote>

You're thinking of the Slammer IV or Slammer V (I can't remember which it was). As far as I know, it never made it past the prototype stage.

Allan

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Allan Wotherspoon ]</p>

Can't remember the name but I did find some info on it on some defense contracter's website (can't remember that either! :D ) I think it would be neat to toy around with a force using that and the 120mm automatic mortar LAV type system instead of tradition arty, assume HIMARS is for counter battery work and see how it works.