Friend and I are trying a Pbm but can't get it to work

Guest Shatter50

Guest Shatter50

For several hour a friend and I have been working on a Pbm as we both got Icq #'s and start the game go to multiplayer game then E-mail then a blank folder shows up titled PBM then nothing happens what are we doing wrong

Also are there any sites to link up and play the game

Hi Shatter,

First you have to start a game as if you are playing by yourself (hit "Play Game", not "join multiplayer"). After you pick your battle, but before getting to the map for setup, it asks how you will be playing "1 player, hotseat, or email." click "email."

Then you will setup, hit go, and you will be given a prompt to save your file. After you do that, exit, go to the PBEM folder in your CMBO folder, and send the file to your friend. He will then hit "join multiplayer", "load email", and go from there.

Hope that helps. If you tried all this already then forgive my babbling. If that doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong.

[This message has been edited by Richlop (edited 08-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter50:

Come on guys I need some help don't let me down I got a buddy online playing CM for the first time with me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, Shatter, you don't start a game from within Multiplayer. First go to play a game and either open a scenario, choose a side, then you will get a screen asking if you want to play it via email. Click that option, and things will proceed. From then on, once that first email file is created (which should then appear in the PBEM folder), you will click on the Join Multiplayer, and choose load email, etc.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Richlop:

Hi Shatter,

First you have to start a game as if you are playing by yourself (hit "Play Game", not "join multiplayer"). After you pick your battle, but before getting to the map for setup, it asks how you will be playing "1 player, hotseat, or email." click "email."

Then you will setup, hit go, and you will be given a prompt to save your file. After you do that, exit, go to the PBEM folder in your CMBO folder, and send the file to your friend. He will then hit "join multiplayer", "load email", and go from there.

Hope that helps. If you tried all this already then forgive my babbling. If that doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong.

Hey guys how do you send PBM file to friend

Open up your email program and prepare a regular email message to send your friend. If you don't see a 'paperclip' icon in your toolbar, look in your menu for a command called "attach" or "insert". Press it and go from there. Good luck.

Guest Shatter50

What does my friend do with the file once he gets the Pbm file from me sorry manual makes no scense to me. I am kinda thick headed

When he gets your message, he will see the attached file. He should click, maybe even double click, on it, and save it wherever he wants on his hard drive.

Then he starts game, presses "Join Multiplayer," then "Load E-mail," and he will get a folder directory. He needs to remember where he saved it to, so now he can go there and click on it.

If he's using icq he will get a prompt saying 'incoming file'

he should select 'save as' then find the PBEM directory, 'save' and there it goes, woosh, into your CM pbem directory.

Then he goes into the game, (easiest just to leave it running, and alt+tab back into it, this game is EASY the most stable game for tabing in and out of), he selects the multiplayer, load email option, finds the file 'shatterVSfriend.txt' or whatever you've called it, and dbl clicks, enters his password and voila. Then he just plays his turns, or views the movie and sends the file back.

PeterNZ

Guest Shatter50

Hey guys you are the greatest. Thanks for all the help. I still struckout though no PBM but it was not my fault I sent file through E-mail as suggested and it was zipped and he does not have Winzip so I guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow. One other thing I have noticed all these CM ladders what is the difference between PBM and a CM Ladder.

Thanks again for the help to everyone.

If anyone wants a PBM now that I have it figured out I think, let me know. reply to topic I will get E-mail sorry not very trusting with e-mail address

I am out for the night maybe I can get in a scenario before I fall asleep

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 08-30-2000).]