Future OpenGL support for CM?

I did a quick search and found that BTS, rightly I think, made the decision awhile back to support D3D (PC) and Rave (Mac) as the APIs for Combat Mission. These were the standards that offered support to everyone with a 3D card at the time development started.

However, I'm wondering if BTS is planning on releasing a patch to support OpenGL for Combat Mission sometime after the initial release. On the Mac (the system that I use) Rave looks like it's going to die off in the not too distant future due to Apple committing to OpenGL. Therefore, It seems unlikely to me that future video cards are going to have Rave drivers. An example are the voodoo 3,4, and 5 cards from 3Dfx which will have glide and OpenGL drivers, but no Rave support (as is my understanding anyway).

So, will we see OpenGL for CM?

Now for a small, slightly off topic, rant. All seemed right with the world when Apple announced its full support for OpenGL. Now, I recently found out the Microsoft has decided to drop OpenGL support for Windows 2000 in order to try and corner the market with D3D for which there is no mac support. It would be nice if these people would just adopt a standard and let us base our video card buying decisions on hardware performance and not on "well, I'll be able to play this and maybe this, but not that because of some lame API."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It would be nice if these people would just adopt a standard and let us base our video card buying decisions on hardware performance and not on "well, I'll be able to play this and maybe this, but not that because of some lame API<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you hadn't noticed, Microsoft doesn't like standards unless it controls it.

Sorry to keep pestering you, but I was really hoping to get some sort of answer from BTS since my ability to play Combat Mission will definately have some influence a future video card purchase.

The problem is in the fact that unlike the voodoo 2 card which is installed via a passthrough cable, I cannot use my current ATI card which does support Rave with future cards from 3Dfx or Invidia (should they ever release mac drivers for the Gforce 256) since they are both 2d and 3d accelerators.

Thanks,

pritzl

Guest L Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The problem is in the fact that unlike the voodoo 2 card which is installed via a passthrough cable, I cannot use my current ATI card which does support Rave with future cards from 3Dfx or Invidia (should they ever release mac drivers for the Gforce 256) since they are both 2d and 3d accelerators.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pritzl, if you're saying what I think you're saying, that's not correct. I am currently using an ATI Rage Orion for 2d/3d card, but I also have an old Voodoo 1 (the Techworks Power3d) installed via the passthrough and I can use either for 3d apps - I kept the old 3dfx because Myth I supported Glide but not OpenGL/RAVE.

Leland J. Tankersley

Hi Leland,

You are correct for both the voodoo 1 and voodoo 2 cards. Like you, I currently have an ATI 128 2D/3D and voodoo 2 card installed in the same system via the passthrough cable. My other computer has just an ATI card.

However, the voodoo 3 cards, as well as the upcoming voodoo 4 and 5 cards are both 2D/3D accelerators just like the ATI card. As a result (as far as I know), they have just a single monitor plug in the back and cannot be set up via a passthrough cable. This is what concerns me because, if I upgrade to a voodoo 5 card and CM doesn't support Open GL, I'll have a really great graphics card that can't run CM. I seriously doubt 3Dfx will be writing Rave drivers for their latest cards.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, somebody please let me know.

BTS, any word at all on an OpenGL version of CM?

pritzl